The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Austin Seven Van
Hi all

Got a question for you all out there, the rationale for which is not financial, but originality and quirkiness, the latter traits being something that have always appealed to me...

To get to the point I recently purchased what was sold to me as an 1932 Tourer (I posted on here a few months back about my "numbers" concern...). I more recently found a source, which I hadn't previously discovered, where one can check original registration details according to reg number.

The threw up the rather surprising news that the Tourer I have was actually first registered as a van (AVG?) on 29/02/1932, which would tie in to the date on the logbook and the chassis number, the engine being a later replacement from 1932.

My quandry now is do I return the car to its former incarnation, if I can track down a repro van body from the era, or leave it as it is at present, ie. an AH Tourer with iffy numbers. I like the idea of originality, in identity at least considering the van shell would be a repro, and the quirkiness of having a van, but the car I have has been recently restored to a high standard with a newly painted Tourer body etc.

Is it worth it? I don't mind the work involved, but would, say, selling the restored body and associated interior and running gear cover the cost of sourcing the bits necessary to reconvert back to van form?

I'm going to drive and enjoy the car as is over the summer here, as should be the case, but I'm looking to next winter's project.

Thinking out loud a bit here, so all input welcome
Something different.

First thing is it financially worth wile. NO NO NO.

The second thing is why the body has been changed, for me it's all in the mind. If the car has been put together recently just to make a priety looking tourer. For me I would perhaps loose a lot of interest in the car.

But if it was done decades ago, I'd accept it as quirky history of the car.

Being a van originally, it probably died 60 years ago. And a different body put on for a different use. "Quirky"

We also see pics and here stories of saloon body taken off running cars. And an open body put back on because someone wanted to enjoy the sun. Again 60 years ago "quirky"

As I say it's all in the mind.

And ultimately its your choice what you want.

Tony.
Good points, Tony.

You're right, it probably IS all in my mind...

I'm adopting the 60s/70s/80s car mentality on originality etc.... have to keep reminding myself that so much chopping and changing went on back then.

You've probably answered my quandry with the financial reasoning... "NO NO NO" is pretty resounding!

I just had the romantic notion, once again, of changing it over and having it sign-written with "Avening's Poultry Farm, Danehill"... to whom it was originally registered. I need to get a grip...!

Drive it, enjoy it, drive it, enjoy, drive it, enjoy it... that's the mantra
A big factor here surely is what do you want to use the car for? If it's just for trailing to shows you'll have a different set of replies from someone who wants to race or go on touring holidays. For me a tourer body is much more 'useable', unless you have something in mind that a van would be great for. You'll need a compelling case to make a re-body worthwhile, so if you have to ask...
Yes, true too, Chris...

More useable as is, recently restored as is, good quality job too, so why bother?
I have had plans for years and years to build something from the chassis up.

I collected lots of bits and know how, didn't get round to it, sold them.

Decided to do it, bought loads of bits, didn't get round to it, realised I was running out of lifetime.

Fortunately I have a long suffering, understanding wife.

Sold the bits, bought a running car.  

Lots to do, but I can drive it, if I want, nearly every day.

Depends if you want to drive, build, or do both together.

Drive the car whilst the sun is shining, I say.

Simon
As a big van fan, I would say leave well alone! There are quite a few 'new' vans around, and very few of them look right, and the tourer is much more usable.
Thanks for the input, Simon and Mike... all well received. You're both right... I was having a moment of weakness!
you can still scratch that itch and have the doors sign written anyway, thus reconnecting with it's past and adding to the quirkyness.  cheers  Russell
Do what you want to do fella. Get all you can out of this fantastic forum. Just enjoy it. Good luck, best wishes. Peter