The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10,000 hours
Reading a book presently that mentions 10,000 hours commitment as being the primary factor in mastery. i.e. persistence rather than absolute skill. Applied to things like musicians, concert pianists etc... i.e. a lot of practice needed in a very short period of time when young. It struck me that this figure will be far exceeded in the Austin 7 world by those who have been tinkering for 50 years! But what do you estimate your active tinkering time has been, over your lives lived so far? And at what point did you notice a change, if any, in it becoming "easier", or perhaps seeing things from a different standpoint?
Every day.
Just plucking a figure out of thin air, I would guess I have probably spent an average of four hours every week over the last fifty-five years tinkering with old cars - more in my early days, far fewer these days. So that adds up to something over 10,000 hours, so I am pleased I can now claim I have mastered the technique ... but remind me, what was it I was trying to do?
Mike,
I too have spent most of my life since I was a nipper messing with bits of machinery and old cars. There is a lot that I have forgotten over the years, so every day brings its own learning curve.

I am reminded of the old joke that goes:- " I keep meaning to mention my memory loss to the Doctor, but every time I go, I forget."
Thumbs Up 
I recon ive far surpassed those hour, just looking for were I put the spanner down when I answered the phone.

I swear they they just run and hide from me Angry

Tony.
Yes, they do, Tony, 'cos when you do find them they're just there where they should have been  Big Grin
Are you like me and know that somewhere you have that spare bulb or other small part but it's not where you keep them. Once you have bought a replacement they magically come to light.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Countering the simplicity of the argument there is of course the old publicity quote made by businesses in 'we have over 40 years combined experience in .......'. not mentioning that they have 40 employees, all with 1 year's experience.

Leads to the alternative old saying 'have you got 20 years of experience or 1 years experience 20 times over', ie have you actually learnt anything?

Not of course suggesting that applies here, I just like 'More or Less' on Radio 4 as a great challenge to the use of statistics and what opposing arguments they can be made to support.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!