The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
NIPPY GEARSTICK
Evening Guys, would a Nippy owner tell me how long the gearstick should be on the Nippy. I have newly purchased a 1936 and when selecting first gear the back of my hand collides into the edge of the dash which is not only annoying but painful too.
I spoke the other day of clutch judder, which is much better since getting to know the amout of movement required and a gentle easing out on pull away revs slightly higher.
Regards RPM Rob
4 speed box?
Just set off in second. 1st is only for big inclines.
I don't know about Nippies, but the same thing happens on my Tourer.

It occurs to me that a very small movement at the front of the engine would make a big difference to the position of the gearstick.

So I am going to check mine, and see if there is room for a thin washer underneath the mountings.

On my other car, a special, I just bent the lever a bit more.

Simon
I suspect you have the wrong gear lever - can you post a picture showing the angle 
Of the bend?

Measuring along the top edge from the chromed disc with the knob removed i 
Get 17”.
I like the idea of 2nd gear pull away, maybe more smoooooth too, will try that. Thanks, Dave in taking the trouble to measure for me, nice to have the correct size of gearstick. unable to post pic at the moment. I did see a picture of a gear stick with a kink. Thanks all, few things to try.
Rob RPM
If you get the lever dull red by fair means or foul it will bend fairly easily. Don't overdo it or you'll be fighting the floor instead.
Thanks, Chris another solution. Is it an easy job to remove the gearstick?
Rob
Hi,

You might have a standard gear lever which has less of a bend.

I always put my hand under the lever for first and third on the Type 65.

To remove gear lever,

Find the split ring above the chrome cover and prise off then  lift chrome cover away then undo the steel cover
( this has a very very fine thread and might need a pair of slip joint pliers to get it moving )
Use a bit of rubber to provide grip and protect the steel cover.
Under the cover there is a tapered spring and through the ball there is a cross pin with flats on the ends to locate it
Do not drop the cross pin into the gearbox !!!

How high off the tunnel is the gear lever in second gear ? 

Mine is 4 1/2" from tunnel in second and 3 1/2" from the dash in first.

Good Luck Dickie
I've had a few nippy levers in stock over the years.

I can't say I noticed they were a different angel?

But I did notice the originals had a large "S" on the top of the lid casting. After the SYN or 2SYN.

Although still doesn't meen the lever hasn't been swapped onto the lid.

Be careful if bending the lever, the cut for the little steel ring that holds the chrome plate in place is a weak point.

If bending cold, it may be worth a small bend in the vice half way down the shaft.

Tony.
(20-03-2019, 07:32 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I always put my hand under the lever for first and third on the Type 65.

Are you sure it's not just the need for this? I always adopted this route too...