The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN petrol tap
Photo 
I'm cleaning up an RN petrol tap, in which some of the deposits have been caked very hard.

When it comes to what I assume is the reserve outlet (arrowed in photo), it feels as if my cleaning rod comes up against metal rather than super-hard crud. Should I be able to push clean through into the part of the body where the taps slide, or is there a bend, or chamber, or something?

Also, should there have been a gauze filter over the outlets?

Thanks in advance

John

.jpg   ewarts_fuel_tap_small.jpg (Size: 391.85 KB / Downloads: 403)
That hole is the reserve feed hole, the main feed is via the tube, which cuts off when you are down to the last gallon in the 'wedge' for the tank.
Thanks, Bob, but should I be able to poke a piece of wire straight through the reserve hole?

John
I wouldnt be quite so keen. I notice you are missing the plunger. Which probably means someone has been messing. Its common to see a piece of bar or a bolt soldered or threaded in to do away with the double ended plunger forming the tap. Then add another below.

Mine had been bunged up like this. I threw it in the hedge and made a nice brass flange and fitted a chummy style tap direct to it.
Thanks, Hedd.

Before I saw your reply, I noticed that there are two small feed holes entering the main tube where the plungers go. The holes looked as if they lined up with the main and reserve feeds, so with a blunt drill at slow speed, and with minimum pressure, I tried clearing the overflow feed. No little bits of brass appeared, just hard rust coloured crud, and then, voila, I was through.

So the answer to my own question is, yes, you can clean straight through.

The main feed is going to be more challenging, and I think I'll have to unsolder the little bit of tube.

As for the plungers, they are fine and in good condition. I had removed them as the first part of the cleaning process. Think I'll try the Viton O-ring kit on ebay to replace the corks.

If all else fails, I'll follow your example to fit a Chummy style tap.

Thanks again

John
Just in case anybody is faced with the same problem.........

the curved tube of the primary feed cleans out nicely with a length of inner brake cable in an electric drill. I found it best to start off with the drill running backwards so that the cable doesn't unwind itself, then once it is through, switch to forward speed to give a sort of wire brush effect as it tries to unravel.
I am new to “sevens” and this forum so I hope I am doing this right! I am finding it difficult (impossible!) to stop my Ewarts main and reserve tap leaking. I am thinking of soldering up both plunger holes and fitting a new, non cork, in line tap underneath. What new tap is best please?
Brian Rosevear
Image of the workings of the tap below from the hand book for info also a link on replacing the seals.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...l_tap.html

.jpg   petrol tap.jpg (Size: 86.29 KB / Downloads: 115)
I have seen a shield on the inside of the car footboard to stop a passenger inadvertently closing the plunger with their foot (perhaps while panic braking in sympathy with the driver! !!)
David
The O-ring kit mentioned above worked at treat in solving my leaking tap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ewarts-Petrol...Swq7JTy-Go