The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bicycle speedometers
I've been using a bicycle speedometer on the Box Saloon for years now. Halfords cheapest, magnet on the rear wheel and wire connections. It works really well. I need one for the Chummy and now I notice they do wireless ones.  Has anyone tried this and do they work? Or is there too much metal around so the signal gets lost?
(17-09-2017, 10:45 AM)Alan Wrote: I've been using a bicycle speedometer on the Box Saloon for years now. Halfords cheapest, magnet on the rear wheel and wire connections. It works really well. I need one for the Chummy and now I notice they do wireless ones.  Has anyone tried this and do they work? Or is there too much metal around so the signal gets lost?

I bought one for the RP from that well known auction site. The instructions were in chinese script. I ended up throwing it away because it was rubbish.

The problem with it was:
a difficult to locate the sensor and the pick up on the wheel sufficiently close together
b range of the transponder was roughly 2'6"...
c it didn't work anyway

Caveat emptor!
I have seen a HUD gps speedo in action recently [£20 from e-bay] and it seems to work OK .Easily transferred to different vehicles my friend use's it on his boat and a variety of vintage cars.
Andy
(17-09-2017, 05:13 PM)Stumpi Wrote: I have seen a HUD gps speedo in action recently [£20 from e-bay] and it seems to work OK .Easily transferred to different vehicles my friend use's it on his boat and a variety of vintage cars.
Andy

I've been using a HUD speedo on my KIA for two years now, it's brilliant. It's 12 volt though.
Alan
I use a wired bicycle speedo on my veteran car and it works great, I did have to lengthen the wire with a bit of shielded audio wire so it was a bit of mucking around.  The advantage is the battery lasts for years.  I have had no luck with wireless.

On my Lambda I use a Garmin Edge 200 which is a GPS type bicycle speedo  the problem is it will go flat in about 10 hours so you have to remember to charge it before use or do what I have done and hard wire it. The advantage with hard wiring is that it will light up at night.

I have traveled around Europe like this and it has not been nicked as it is hard to see from outside, it may be a bit more obvious in a tourer!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
Hope this is not a dumb question but I was put off buying one of the many Head Up Display gps speedometers because I imagined they have lateral inversion of the display and couldn't be read directly..That's assuming HUD cannot be made to work with a vertical windscreen. perhaps they have a mode switch for direct viewing ? Any advice from a user ?
I purchased a HUD which I find excellent, The display has 3 modes projected to the windscreen, Normal and Inverted (if you mount upside down). Well recommended.
Sounds good but will they work off 6v electrics?
Alan,

Just thinking around your request and wonder if you may already have all the equipment you need.

I have been using a free Sat. Nav. app on my phone for a number of years now.

It runs on both Apple and Android phones etc. it shows accurate speed and has a trip which can be reset - it has no wires and can be transferred into any car I am driving.  A couple of screen shots for you to see...

Alan, if the don't work on 6V you could probably use one of those little step up voltage converters, small and cheap.
Black Art Enthusiast