The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo Field Resistor
Across the "D" and "F" terminals on the dynamo. For the resistance wire, I buy a heating element for an electric fire. Never get to use it all.
The original lamps could be focussed quite sharp which was OK on the roads of the time but now need spread light to find marked lanes, traffic islands, far distant edges etc. Modern lamps like the semi sealed BPF conversions disperse light so need lots of watts.
Curious about the 25/25 halogen. On another car with semi sealed BPF I purchased halogen bulbs but the patterns were ludicrous and unusable.
Incidentally very few original sources give original lamps in watts, just candlepower, and this has not deterred the innocent use of much larger bulbs, often killing the dynamo. (For BPF conversions used to be able to buy 21w vertical dip motor cycle bulbs)

Brake lights were 3 (three) watts! Just as well could not pull 1G stops. No point in taking foot off the pedal at lights!

Am curious that only one lamp dips. Is the old Brit sytem of one lamp extinguishing still permitted? Was banned here about 1960 and my RP seems to have always had two (diabolical) solenoid dip lamps, certainly since 1940.
Bob,

I hvae had a quick look at the U.K. Construction and Use Regulations, and, as is often the case, they are quite opaque! Certainly, if the vehicle is an omnibus first used before 1st January 1969, it is permissible to have a single dipping headlamp on the nearside.

All I can say is that I hvae a number of old MOT certificates with my car and it appears that it has always had single dipping lamps. It has been rewired at some point and there are only three wires to the offside headlamp (sidelamp, headlamp main beam and earth) whereas there are four in the nearside headlamp. (as for the offside but with an extra wire for dipped)

I hvae been out and about in the dark quite a bit recently and no-one has moaned yet.
There is a requirement under the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 for cars to have a matched pair of headlamps (as related to size character positioning etc). If they do not dip then the beams should be permanently deflected downwards so as not to dazzle. ONE dipping headlamp no longer conforms because the TWO lamps should be matched (ie the same), ie two dipping or two fixed.
Thank you Bruce. I am sure that it is not beyond the wit of man to modify the offside lamp to take a double filament bulb and supply it with wiring. Another job to add to the list!
Just to complete this thread, my 100W 2 Ohm power resistor arrived by post this morning and I spent the early afternoon fitting it. Works a treat! 8 amps charge on the 'Winter' setting at 30 mph rising to 10 amps at 40mph. On the 'Summer' setting 2 amps at 30 mph and 4 amps at 40.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. Much appreciated!

I must get round to sorting the double dipping system out next.....