The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy sharter handle guides
Hi all,

Can anyone throw some light on this for me.

I've always seen several different starter handle guides out there for the austin 7.

Which ones fit which year.

I've tipped my box full out, and here are all the different ones.

[attachment=5704]

All the top row are originals.

And the far left is what most people would expect.

Second from left is the same casting, but not machined for the peg to hold in a permanent shaft. There is a shoulder for a spring inside. So if you use a detachable shaft, do you use a spring on it?

Pic of these two below.

[attachment=5705]

This were it gets weird for me.

The middle and second on the right. I first thought were cut down.

See pic below

[attachment=5706]

But if you check the front view.

The middle guide IS CUT DOWN.

But the second from the right is CLEARLY CAST THAT WAY.

And is shorter than the middle one. What did it fit? And I take it the middle one has been cut to kind of copy it.

Front view pic.

[attachment=5707]

Here is a picture of the one on the far right.

It's aluminium instead of iron.

Would this be the first fitted in 1922?

And if so how long was it fitted before they went onto the iron.

Woul apreciate some help on this one.

Thanks Tony.

[attachment=5708]
I have had both aluminium and steel guides for the handles among my stock of bits, but I had not previously been aware of the cotter pin type handle in use for a mag engine. Looking on the various parts lists appropriate to mag engines both types of handle are shown in them all, but there seems to be no discrimination between the types of guide. In my sample check the same part no was quoted for the guide in them all. So the riddle of which is appropriate to any date remains.
Robert Leigh
Looking at period photos, I cannot find a single photo of a scoop-scuttle car with the handle in the horizontal position, whereas ACs onwards are regularly photographed with the handle horizontal; so maybe the cotter pin design originates from late 1924? That doesn't explain the later, more substantial, design without the slot, though, and you do seem to have an awful lot of very early examples, so that probably isn't the explanation!
Tony. My 1928 Cup has an ali guide as per top row right hand end.

I cant remember the source of the info. But I was lead to believe the ali ones were only fitted in 1928. As the last type before the coil engine.

Do you have more handles and shafts for sale. Im missing those. How much?
Thanks lads,

I thought for a moment nowbody knew what I was on about.

It's starting to sound a bit like austin may have offered the opsion of a fitted or removable handle?

Maybe for a small fee.

And hedd, I do have a couple more guides/housings. Mainly repros. But I don't have good shafts.

I know Jamie at the workshop, had some new shafts made. But I don't know which ones he made. He may not be aware of all the veriations.

I still love to know more on these. Especially the one second from the right. And the aluminium one.

Thanks Tony.
I have seen a number of this type Tony...

.jpg   UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_cefc.jpg (Size: 283.92 KB / Downloads: 148)

Hi R,

Love the pics.

This brings up another couple of questions.

First is, is that early rad NICKLED?

And second, when did they go from the one piece handle to the two piece.

Tony.
1. yes.

2. no idea, sorry mate!