The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cars that were perfect first time
I had trouble with Beetles and cornering which was invariably cured by fitting radial tyres, Michelin for best results in my experience
(08-03-2019, 11:22 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 08:27 PM)jansens Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 10:34 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: In saying that, I knew people who drove early Beetles who would put a couple of paving slabs in the front end so they would go round corners!

Early Porsche 911s had that built in from the factory, cast iron weights hidden in the front bumper to help make the car more stable apparently.

Simon
I'd read Porsche 911,A tribute of development over design.
Will look it up, thanks. I am still reading the last lot of books recommended to me on here (about William Grover-Williams) and thoroughly enjoying them.

Simon
Whilst straying, there is a book available covering development of the Beetle. Tried various motors including an opposed twin with cyls exactly opposite and 3 throw crank with one con rod forked. Had troubles with broken cranks, frames and much else but well sorted for WW2 and made thousands of the flat sided open army model, including an amphibious version.  Successful despite the motor much smaller than a jeep.  The early post war cars were much more basic than the models we all know and were rejected by Brit industry, who preferred series E and Anglias and Prefects! (But did produce the Minor) Sadly design is now all very computerised and there is little basis for such books. 
And straying further radials can transform older cars. about 1987 I ceded my Javelin for a Super Minx. Handling was notably inferior, but notably superior on radials. (Most Javelins are now on radials and are excellent despite illegally narrow rims) According to the theory in all the good books stability is fine with radials rear only, and many Beetles were seen like this. But the arrangement on my Minx and same on my fathers identical car, was horrendeous; on uneven surfaces darted about like a Seven. Presumably when front and rear camber steer is the same car is reasonably stable.
Ah yes, the genuine craftsman made hand beaten tin bodywork......  OK, I know my 2CV currently has tin front wings, but that's because I took off the Belgian carbon fibre wings to do the Clee Hills Trial. Just as well, as no damage was caused by the wild boar that rushed out in front of me at Jenny's Wind, bashing #11 under the front of the car. Luckily I'll be in a Ruby at How Caple next Sunday afternoon, sparing the savage mockery of 2CV front ends by certain distinguished and discriminating editors.

(This should be beneath Mons Donnet, as in terms of style, content and grammar we usually are.)
Reckers - that looks suspiciously like a Acadiane (Dyane) Van - my mother briefly owned a saloon of that model before buying a brand new 2CV in 1986.

I ran the 1986 car for a few years and I also bought this at the same time:

It was know affectionately by us as the "Flying Carrot", would do 80mph flat out on a standard engine, 3" off the ground it cornered happily at pretty much any speed - caused quite a stir in France, as you can imagine. It was built up by Tom Abernethy and his son (that is a modified Cup Model windscreen you can see on it) and now resides in Ireland - I think...
I'm suitably impressed by the Flying Carrot. I do like a Citroen Special and that is a very tidy one. An interesting treatment of the bonnet front, do you have any more pics by chance?

Acadiane came from the twinning of a Dyane front and an AK van. Hence AK said the French way + Dyane = Acadiane. It was the only 2cv derivative with wind up windows...
Lots of good pics there, thanks Ruairidh.
I'm very familiar with the "C'est un Deux Chevaux? Incroyable! Felicitations m'sieur!" crowd that seems to descend on a special wherever one stops in France. Interesting cars always seem to open hearts and doors...
Luxury Reckers!

It was a huge amount of fun Duncan - sold it to buy a Commer Campervan when Tanya fell pregnant, that had to go when twins cam along two years later!