Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge special.
Have now got a nice set of sports suspension.
Still looking for a 1929/30 chassis.
I would like to build a short wheelbase Cambridge special, and looking for a Cambridge body,or parts, 
Also a proper set of Cambridge wings.
Any help/ leads greatly appreciated
(16-09-2017, 10:07 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Have now got a nice set of sports suspension.
Still looking for a 1929/30 chassis.
I would like to build a short wheelbase Cambridge special, and looking for a Cambridge body,or parts, 
Also a proper set of Cambridge wings.
Any help/ leads greatly appreciated

I have a1933 99% project with west London wheels (6) and correct wings 12 volt elecs, speedo and rev counter  all fitted
Thanks John, nice car but looking for a short chassis Cambridge in need of work.
Still looking for Cambridge body, parts, or drawings.Does anyone make these bodies?
Also looking for Cambridge wings.
(17-10-2017, 10:20 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Thanks John, nice car but looking for a short chassis Cambridge in need of work.
Still looking for Cambridge body, parts, or drawings.Does anyone make these bodies?
Also looking for Cambridge wings.

No Cambridge on the Horizon so now having a rethink for my special 
There are some lovely prewar specials in the gallery.
I love the the look of Jack Frech's GE  from an outward appearance it looks as though one could build a body that resembles this, and get the difficult bits done professionally,the top of the tail and the shrouds would be beyond my capabilities.
I know the original body had a lot of woodwork in them, It would be possible to cut down on the woodwork and make alloy longitudinal members in place of the plywood ones
Could someone at reasonable cost provide some drawings please
If you're put off making the box sections in wood due to complexity don't worry. I made a cup body tub as a trial run (never have made the second as yet) The box sections needed a 3/4 inch square piece of ash for the top and bottom, these I steamed using a drainpipe plumbed into a wallpaper stripper. Then the vertical members are all straight, just cut to shape. Support it as gluing together and hey presto, I'd say a day in total and felt very strong once made.
(10-12-2017, 12:01 PM)Mark R Wrote: If you're put off making the box sections in wood due to complexity don't worry. I made a cup body tub as a trial run (never have made the second as yet) The box sections needed a 3/4 inch square piece of ash for the top and bottom, these I steamed using a drainpipe plumbed into a wallpaper stripper. Then the vertical members are all straight, just cut to shape. Support it as gluing together and hey presto, I'd say a day in total and felt very strong once made.

Hi Mark, thanks for the encouragement.Any idea where I might get some drawings please?
Rgds Gene
(10-12-2017, 10:13 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 12:01 PM)Mark R Wrote: If you're put off making the box sections in wood due to complexity don't worry. I made a cup body tub as a trial run (never have made the second as yet) The box sections needed a 3/4 inch square piece of ash for the top and bottom, these I steamed using a drainpipe plumbed into a wallpaper stripper. Then the vertical members are all straight, just cut to shape. Support it as gluing together and hey presto, I'd say a day in total and felt very strong once made.

Hi Mark, thanks for the encouragement.Any idea where I might get some drawings please?
Rgds Gene

If you are still considering building a Cambridge type Special, these photos may help. They show the inside of the two sides of the body illustrating the position of the ash frame. Also shown are the metal supports used on each side for additional strength. The postions of these supports are shown roughly in light blue on one of the sides.

Bryan
Hi Gene

I have a set of GE Cup drawings on CD which I used to print out out a set of full size drawings
and make up two Sets of Cup frames, some photos of which have appeared as the AllAlloyCup on the Forum.

PM me if you are interested.

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
(31-12-2017, 02:40 PM)Bryan Norfolk Wrote:

Rgds Gene

If you are still considering building a Cambridge type Special, these photos may help. They show the inside of the two sides of the body illustrating the position of the ash frame. Also shown are the metal supports used on each side for additional strength. The postions of these supports are shown roughly in light blue on one of the sides.

Bryan
Hi Bryan, I did mail you, no response so assume you didn't get it?
Rgds
(16-02-2018, 11:33 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(31-12-2017, 02:40 PM)Bryan Norfolk Wrote:

Rgds Gene

Bryan
Hi Bryan, I did mail you, no response so assume you didn't get it?
Rgds
I have not received an email. The parts that I displayed are no longer in my possession but I am happy to discuss details.
Bryan