The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin new ruby
I need a bit of help 
Just had the remains of a new ruby offered to me with logbook v5 it says engine as 885cc is this the big seven engine or 3 bearing 7 engine ? . And what should wheelbase be 
Hope that's enough info?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Ruby wheelbase is 6'9", Big 7 is bigger, I can't remember by how much, 6" possibly.

The engine capacity of the 7 (750) is often entered incorrectly in continuation logbooks, being confused with the Austin A30 "Seven" or the Austin Mini "Seven".

The engine of the Big Seven (900 cc) is quite obviously different from the Seven.

The head has a cast in top water take off, more in the middle, not at the end, and the dynamo is fore and aft, not crosswise.

I have never heard the Big Seven called any kind of Ruby, either.

Simon
Thanks if cc is wrong in.logbook that explains it,
Going to have a look tomorrow so will check to see what it is ? Did a search on Google for new ruby and did not find much listed as new ruby just ruby,
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
The DVLA don't understand 747cc
The "New Ruby" may refer to the updated model ARR introduced in mid-1936, which differed only in detail from the earlier ARQ Ruby.

When DVLA records were computerised years ago, for some reason Austin Seven capacities defaulted to 885 cc, it's very common to see this on a logbook which hasn't been subsequently corrected.
DVLA CONFUSED THE mini Austin Seven with 858cc with the pre war 7. So the new V5 issued in the 80s were wrong. Surprise surprise
(02-03-2019, 09:34 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: The "New Ruby" may refer to the updated model ARR introduced in mid-1936

That sounds familiar to me too.
Austin marketed the face-lifted ARR model as the 'New Ruby'.

.jpg   1936 New Ruby.jpg (Size: 230.99 KB / Downloads: 382)
(02-03-2019, 09:34 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: The "New Ruby" may refer to the updated model ARR introduced in mid-1936, which differed only in detail from the earlier ARQ Ruby.

Though the Mk1 ARQ and the Mk2 ARR seem very similar, in fact almost every body panel is different.
The New, Mk II or ARR Ruby is different from the earlier version in many minor ways - this includes the doors being a single pressing, the scuttle being radiused to a windsceen at a steeper angle, the horizontal swage line along the side of the car stopping in an arrow rather than going right round the back, the front wings being a heavier shape, the rear windows winding down, larger stainless steel wheel centre caps, the speedo being conventional rather than a barrel type.  To these are added the change in engine mentioned above - three-bearing, high compression head - and the brakes to semi-Girling and other more minor changes, plus those that continue during the production until the end of production.  

The Big Seven wheel base is given as 7' 3.5".

Colin