The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Stuck Clutch after Winter layup
This once happened to my Ford 8N tractor. I pointed it at the door and started in gear. Once in the open I got into 3rd (out of 4) and accelerated briskly (for a tractor) with the clutch fully depressed. The clutch popped free immediately. No big thing, with no lasting repercussions. I would certainly give something similar a shot before I took anything apart. Good luck, Mike
Yup! That's the way I've always done it, including several Sevens over the years; get the engine warmed up first, then it will start easily in gear without overloading the starter.
I definitely wouldn’t start the engine with loose cover plate, it’s not spring pressure holding the clutch
so no point in slackening the bolts and then starting it.
Try previous suggestions re starting it in gear and driving with the clutch pedal depressed you will find it will come free.You could also prod the throttle while driving to put some shock loading into it.
Thanks to all you folks who took the time and trouble to reply with helpful suggestions, much appreciated.
The solution, as was suggested, was to get engine hot, start up in gear with clutch pedal floored and drive. Only had to go a few dozen yards for clutch to free.
Thanks for letting us know of your success, the suspense was unbearable.
Aye, it was gripping. Now it's not.
To prevent the clutch seizing when over wintering old tractors, I've seen the clutch pedal kept fully depressed with a block of wood.
(06-03-2019, 05:46 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: To prevent the clutch seizing when over wintering old tractors, I've seen the clutch pedal kept fully depressed with a block of wood.

I have the simpler solution of keeping driving cars in the winter.