The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month March 2019
Just thinking of the trams in Mike’s photo. For the first 2 years at secondary school I used to catch the trams (two to get to school and two to get home). One day a week I had to take my drawing board to school; crazy when you are 11 years old and 4 ft nothing! They could beat the replacement buses up the hills. On the tram trip to the school fields all of us on the upper deck used to swap the pivoting seats so they pointed in the wrong direction and then as we alighted we all trod on the tram warning bell except on one occasion when the conductor put his foot over it only to get his foot trampled on. Excuse my sad remeniscing!
Hedd, I think the lorry is an early 1930s Leyland Bison, a brand new design introduced in 1929. Ex-WD lorries were still a regular sight in the 1930s, but they would almost certainly still retain their solid tyres.
Difficult to recognise the scene in the photo with whats there today, due to realignment of the inner ring road. The Yorkshire bank building is still on the corner of what used to be London Rd and Ecclesall Rd but the rest of the bottom of the Moor has all gone. I remember it as a bomb site in the 1950s. They used to create a Santa's grotto there at xmas every year.
(02-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: ...  but the rest of the bottom of the Moor has all gone. I remember it as a bomb site in the 1950s. 

Ah yes, that has reminded me why I thought the picture dated from the 1930s rather than post-War.
Great photo, is that another Seven in front of the bus? Dave I've just cleaned the wheels on one of our cars a long overdue job, in their dirty state they looked grey. Getting stuck in tramlines was the pitfall of the Ford T with it's wider track, the Seven track was too narrow.
I was also thinking of the trams. If the pic is from the 30's the lines would have been taken up in the 50's? only to be relaid, albeit in different places, in the 90's... plus ca change!
Most of the "old" tram lines and cobbles are still there, although now buried by oversurfacing. This used to cause no end of problems fot the utilities when they had to do excavations to access pipes etc that laid under the old tram tracks. At least with the new "Supertram" system all the services are outwith the swept track of the trams on the on-street running sections. It was a lot of work during the construction phase but worth it in the end. In the places where the new trams run where the old ones were then everything has been removed, but places like the Moor, London Rd and Ecclesall Rd they are still there.
What a fascinating photo!

Curiously enough, my insurance company is just fighting a case whereby someone drove into my trailer on this roundabout...or its latest version just as it joins Ecclesall Road. I'd just come round the ring road having delivered a car to Doncaster and was heading for Edale. Looks like the case will go to court!

Arthur
Dave,
You could be right! My chummy wheels were that colour after I had been to the old Grand Transport Extravaganza at Crich Tramway Museum many years ago.
Cheers,
Dave W.
It’s a pouring wet day in this photo, I doubt if those are”dirty wheels”
They look like grey to me :-)

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,