The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REAR WHEEL STUDS
Whilst replacing the rear brake shoes on my 1927 Special I noticed loose wheel studs.
I plan to replace, but are unsure on the correct procedure.
Can anyone offer words of advise, how to remove the old studs and refit with new rivets?
Many thanks
Paul
As long as rivets not about to sheer off, does not really matter. Unless the nut is bottoming on thread should not take much to resist turning. Should it turn can probably split the brass nut to remove wheel.
More important that threads not stretched or stud dished significantly at rear and about to pull through. May be able to view with a small mirror.
Replacement involves pulling the hub taper, undoing the large internal nut, removing wheel bearing etc all preferably avoided unless good reason.
A related question for a person with a different car:
When I dismantled the rear end of my ‘29 chummy with a ‘31 rear axle on it last weekend I noticed that one side had the studs located on the plate with two rivets per stud and the other side had just a single larger rivet per stud. Every thing I’ve found (Woodrow etc) indicates normal is two rivets per stud.
Where would have the single rivet version come from?
I too have some ‘looseness’ in the studs (not much - just a bit of wobble - no turning and definitely still captive) and I am also wondering if I should be replacing them.
Early cars (pre 1927?) had just one rivet per stud.