The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A warning from Greece
        Hi,
I picked this up from The classic car forum, I am not capable of putting in the internet connection so I have taken a couple of screenshots. I could wish it was fake news but I suspect it is true.
Ian

The screenshots could be back to front, as I said I am not too good with technology.
Ah so Brexit is beginning to make sense then.
I think we have got a few MPs on our side !
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I didn't realise there were such draconian rules against old cars in Greece or anywhere else. Who do these people think they are to criminalise innocent drivers in this way? I am fully in support of those who stand up to overbearing officialdom and hope to goodness we never see such an imposition here.
It might be a good time to buy an old car in Greece for export.
Cheers

Mark
I wonder what they include as "vintage".  This Marina van was still plying its trade in southern Greece last Autumn.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think they may be doing what we did in 1960 when the dread MoT was introduced? Unless we want to suffocate from air pollution we all need to do something about emissions. I gather that the first death certificate with the cause being stated as pollution was issued a couple of weeks ago in Bristol.
That said, this hypocrite spends his winter fuel allowance on petrol for the car collection...
I published this letter from Kip Waistell last September in the HA7C Crankhandle newsletter which mire or less says the same thing.

From Kip Waistell
The following may be of interest to our members...we were considering driving to Greece next year!

A Forest of Dean Historic Vehicle Club member, Cliff Knight, who lives on some remote Greek island, has written in to say that in October 2017 the Greek government prohibited the driving of historic cars in Greece unless on a registered rally. ..they are not even allowed to be driven to garages for repair or refuelling. The justification given was "some owners are believed to be using historic cars for everyday transport to avoid road taxes". 

Meetings with the Government department led to a modification which in essence was
 historic cars would be allowed to be driven to permitted rallies on public roads two days in advance of the event
 they would be allowed to be driven on public roads on the day after the event
 they could be driven to a garage for repair on the 1st Wednesday and 3rd Saturday of each month but must return -the same day. If repairs took over one day, then the car could be driven home at a later date but the driver had to have a valid dated receipt for the repairs
 historic cars could be driven on public roads on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month but only within the county in which the car is registered.

Penalty for infringement is 1500 euros. 

Needless to say, further negotiations are in hand over this ridiculous legislation
Regards
Kip
1931 RN, 1933 APD
I've always believed that the tax and MoT exemptions here were a first foot in the door by the authorities to justify the imposition at some point in the future of tight restrictions on the use of historic vehicles.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

I would much rather put my cars in for some form of roadworthiness test and pay some level of tax to ensure a continuing right to use them as they were intended to be.
I rather thought that the Greek government feared that people were using classic cars as a dodge to avoid paying taxes. The extra fuel used by these cars compared to modern efficient engines would probably have made up for the shortfall in tax income. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD