The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic cars
Just looked at a article on plugin hybrids and 98% of the owners have not used the charging cable ? So are electric the way to go and I see no life span of battery's are given ? And the price !!!
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Hi Tony

I’d put the parts prices up and see if you could knock
a couple of years off your target date ..... :-)

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
12 years ago, I bough a 1983 Volkswagen Polo Mk2 as a temporary replacement for my Rover SD1 that was written off in an accident. I paid £250.00 for it which was about the going price for a decent one at that time. I've still got it and use it as my 'daily' as it is reliable, easy to work on and does what I need a daily runaround to do. I am amazed that these Polos are now getting collectable and seem to command silly prices I saw one not so long ago for £6K on ebay! perhaps I should think about salting it away and get another cheap banger for everyday use.
And Austin Sevens ?
If I can't use my Swallow without converting it to run on a soulless electric motor then I would throw in the towel and offer it to a museum. What would be the point of a silent seven? and there is no substitute for the aroma. I for one would be greatly saddened if the day ever came.
(19-02-2019, 10:43 PM)Tony Press Wrote: And Austin Sevens ?

I am busy making the (newly acquired) RP Box Saloon reliable so that i can use it for a few days whilst I get the Polo off the road for some much needed TLC.
"Just looked at a article on plugin hybrids and 98% of the owners have not used the charging cable ?"

There shouldn't be any real need to plug in a "Plug in" Hybrid, the battery is charged when the engine is running.  Isn't that the point of a hybrid?

If a plug in hybrid is used exclusively for City driving where it rarely gets above 20 mph, that's when the plug in function comes into play, but if the car sees a few miles of fast roads the batteries are soon topped up.

BTW. I am no great fan of Electric Cars or Hybrids, but I can see which way the wind is blowing, and it ain't blowing in favour of Fossil fuels.  A lot can change in 50 years & to think we will still be burning oil like we do now is (in my opinion) highly unlikely. 
Ed Zackerkly!
(19-02-2019, 11:18 PM)Ray White Wrote: If I can't use my Swallow without converting it to run on a soulless electric motor then I would throw in the towel and offer it to a museum.  What would be the point of a silent seven? and there is no substitute for the aroma.  I for one would be greatly saddened if the day ever came.

Ray....no problem.  Some 'lectric vehicles have a system with speakers which make a noise like an i.c.e. car so people can hear them coming.  All you need to do is make some recordings of how the Swallow sounds and hey presto.....
The cleaver box could even be programmed to vary the noises in accordance with the accelerator input.
The smells side may be a bit more difficult?  Oh no.....just bottle some "essence of swallow" and knock up a fancy 'lectric box that controls a drip feed to air.......so 80 mph down the motorway and that waft of burning oil could still be there... Rolleyes

Dennis
Electric cars only move the pollution from the city's and towns to the countryside
Were power stations are so the pollution falls on the farms and pollutes the food chain! What is the benefit in that !

Even better I do as one of my hobby's "to many"  rc planes and I've built an electric powered spitfire and to make it sound better have put a Mr sound system
In it that sound like a merlin engine and sound great , put that in a Austin and tell
Every body that you've fitted a merlin engine without cutting the bonnet !

PS I put castrol R in the lawn mower I seem to cut grass more often now!.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?