The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back axle adjusters
Hi All

I'm rebuilding the back axle of my 1930 RK.  It has a screw in torque tube and has inherited one narrow half shaft and one wider shaft. That is the diff carrier has been reamed on one side to take a later half shaft! I am using lip seals in the axle cases and hubs.

The existing adjusters on either side of the diff carrier do not have the oil thrower screw thread. However I do have a pair of later adjusters from a Ruby axle that seem to fit.  

Question is it worth fitting these in place of the original adjusters? Does the screw thread help much?

Cheers

Howard
Howard, I'd suggest anything that helps you keep oil where it belongs is probably a good idea.

Off the cuff I can't tell you whether the side adjusters changed with the axle shaft diameter change, but I rather feel they should have; for the scroll to work at all you need minimal clearance between scroll and shaft. If you are determined to keep your odd-sized shafts then you would need different bore size adjusters either side.
And do make sure the scroll is oriented for returning oil and not sucking it out...

I suppose that if the oil seals are 100% this may be unnecessary but I never saw any harm in belt and braces.