The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol Tank
To day I removed the petrol tank on my ARR Ruby, when the tank had dried out, the inside is covered in a white powder when I removed the sender unit the float was also covered it cleaned of with brasso, can anyone tell me is this the result of old stale petrol or is it some thing that as been added to keep the petrol fresh.

Thanks for all replies 
Graham in Sheffield
I honestly have no idea Graham but a quick Google reveals you are not alone.
Was it something like this?

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/ques...le-gas-cap

Reportedly observed in tanks which have never seen ethanol fuel so cross that one off for now.

Zinc/ lead/ alumium oxidation sounds faintly reasonable.
Looking at the photo in the attachment of the m/cycle gas tank. It looks to me that it could be some sort of mycilia a type of fungus. That also easily wipes off as dust. I have read somewhere that this can happen in petrol tanks but for the life of me cannot remember where.

John Mason.

Looking at the photo in the attachment of the m/cycle gas tank. It looks to me that it could be some sort of mycilia a type of fungus. That also easily wipes off as dust. I have read somewhere that this can happen in petrol tanks but for the life of me cannot remember where.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
So you must be the toyboy !
It's better than what she first called it. It was then the tin box. You men out there who have wives who also enjoy Austins and other old cars are lucky men indeed.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I think we all suffer from the same misapprehension , I tend to get comments about “ steptoes yard” although much is my son’s, although not al! .
By the way now the weather is warmer and my ( 70 yr old) joints are starting to work again I will probably  also se about  checking my Ruby petrol tank, and getting in touch again with Graham who lives nearby . We also know of a common coffee shop where we could meet.
Ian