The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Engine Stripdown
Many thanks for everybody’s input on this thread, it’s so helpful to the newcomer like me to be able to draw on the experience and expertise of people on this forum, life would definitely be more difficult without the reassurance and advice from those that have “done it before”.

Having cleaned out the front crankshaft bearings I’ve found that when nipped in the vice back to back as per advice I’m unable to get any feeler gauge between the outers but it is relatively easy to turn them in opposite direction, I’m taking that to mean that I’ll need to insert a 0.004” shim between the outers in order to provide the preferred amount of preload when installed.

The ensuing debate with reference to the installation and setup of the AC bearings was also enlightening and interesting.

On my second attempt I successfully released the timing gears grip on the camshaft using a much bigger hammer!

Thanks once again, I’m sure it won’t be long before I’m back with further questions, I’ve a lot of learning to do!

….. Phil.
Hi Phil

I have been trying to get my head around the front bearings.

This link to SKF is informative.

https://www.skf.com/uk/products/bearings...index.html

I'm not sure if there's a standard way of marking AC bearings, but my old Hoffmann MS11ACDs are marked "Thrust" on the face that is downstream of the axial load, i.e. on the opposite side to where the thrust comes from.

Good luck!

Colin
When it comes to b to b or f to f and the front of Seven cranks, you can read too much!

Woodrow covers what you need to know.