The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MOT Consultation - 40 Year exemption.
(14-09-2017, 08:51 PM)Timothy P Wrote: EDIT: Peter beat me to it, and put it much more simply.
The above is only relevant to the MOT exemption, you can still have your modified suspension and higher power to weight ratio, you will just have to have an MOT.

That's OK if having an MOT is going to be the only impact. 

The document states that such a car would not be a "Vehicle of Historic Interest" but doesn't state what it would be either, presumably, it wouldn't count as "radically altered" but if you had an A7 special with the usual mods built since 1988, it already sits in the historic taxation class. Is anyone who owns up to having twin SUs going to find the car gets ejected from that class?
Sorry Stuart, I modified my post as Peter said much the same in fewer words.

Interestingly the document you linked to also references using the 8 point system, which points to this part of the system not being finalised. 

Quote:There is an admin cost to VHI owners since they must now certify that their vehicle has not been substantially altered. To be considered as a VHI a number of components of the vehicle need to be of a design of which would have been fitted to that vehicle at the time of its manufacture. For example the vehicle must have the original unmodified chassis, suspension and steering assembly. The vehicle owner must consult the 8 point rule and verify that their vehicle meets these conditions. They must then inform DVSA that they are exempt from testing. The exact details of this process have not yet been determined. Vehicles that are currently exempt from MOT testing must fill out a V112 form to declare that they are exempt and must produce this form when they taxing a vehicle. Vehicles that are exempt from tax must annually declare this online. It is likely that the self-certification process will follow a similar process. The length of time that the self-certification process will take is uncertain and it is likely to vary by individual. It has been conservatively assumed that the process will take around 60 minutes. Due to the uncertainty a range is taken around this value, from 45 to 75mins. This is likely to be an overestimate but the conservative approach of not understating any costs has been taken due to lack of details on the self-certification process at the time of this analysis. Non-business time is valued at £4.89 per hour
The document says first registered, not first built/used, so what about vehicles registered more recently for one reason or another. I thought I saw something suggesting it to exclude reconstructed classics from VHI status but can't see it again now?
 It says components from the list:
need to be  of a design  of which would have been fitted to that vehicle  at the time of its manufacture. 

How about a bowed axle or lower rake steering box, the car probably started as a chummy not an Ulster?

The documentation suggests this will take over from the previous pre 1960 exemption thus putting some cars back to requiring an MOT if they don't qualify for VHI status)
Hopefully I've read it correctly, sounds like it's still work in progress though.
(14-09-2017, 09:29 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: That's OK if having an MOT is going to be the only impact. 

The document states that such a car would not be a "Vehicle of Historic Interest" but doesn't state what it would be either, presumably, it wouldn't count as "radically altered" but if you had an A7 special with the usual mods built since 1988, it already sits in the historic taxation class. Is anyone who owns up to having twin SUs going to find the car gets ejected from that class?

Stuart, I agree with your presumption of not being moved to radically altered and requiring IVA. With reference to tax, I have not seen any inference that the ongoing 'historic' taxation class, and the new 'vehicles of historical interest' class governing MOT exemption, are the same thing, or that VHI's will be the new standard for eligibility to the tax exemption. Though not outside of the realms of possibility, I would have expected some mention from either DfT, DVLA or FBHVC if this was the intention. Either way paying tax and having a (relevant) MOT is surely of little consequence if it allows us continued use of the roads.
On the more positive side at least they have not proceeded with these two items,

Limiting the mileage of our cars.
Introducing a biennial test for our car.
(14-09-2017, 04:51 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Well, for today's special builders, the sting is in the tail of the second document.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...esting.pdf

Previously, you needed enough of these items to have 8 points

To be considered as a VHI the vehicle must have been first registered over 40 years ago and the following
components need to be of a design of which would have been fitted to that vehicle at the time of its
manufacture.........
Can you point me to just where you are reading this bit please?  A page number or something might help me.
(15-09-2017, 12:21 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(14-09-2017, 04:51 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Well, for today's special builders, the sting is in the tail of the second document.

Previously, you needed enough of these items to have 8 points

To be considered as a VHI the vehicle must have been first registered over 40 years ago and the following
components need to be of a design of which would have been fitted to that vehicle at the time of its
manufacture.........
Can you point me to just where you are reading this bit please?  A page number or something might help me.

This document:

The text was copied and pasted from page 3 of 20 heading "1. Problem under consideration"
Yes, but none of us will have any modifications done after 1988, will we?
I'm sure I wont?
We special builders should be ok, as the chassis will not have been modified and we do not have a monocoque Body shell....

It will not be considered to be a VHI if it;

has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ pre-fix,

is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle or,

is a kit conversion where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to
a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell changing the general appearance of
the vehicle.
(15-09-2017, 04:11 PM)Special Bits Wrote: We special builders should be ok, as the chassis will not have been modified and we do not have a monocoque Body shell....

It will not be considered to be a VHI if it;

has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ pre-fix,

is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle or,

is a kit conversion where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to
a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell changing the general appearance of
the vehicle.
But if the engine had been increased in bhp by 15% ( that is about 2bhp) or the total weight reduced by 15% - not difficult with a Ruby conversion - or both, after Jan 1988 then it will not qualify for VHI with these proposals.