The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MOT Consultation - 40 Year exemption.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...hiness.pdf

So providing it is passed and not overwhelmed by Brexit it looks like 40 year exemption is on the cards from May 2018. Some important stuff in there for specials builders with 8 point requirements.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have a 1961 TR4 which is quite awkward to check without a proper lift. I'm happier with the already exempt Austin because it's easier to wiggle all the bits to check for wear.
Well, for today's special builders, the sting is in the tail of the second document.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...esting.pdf

Previously, you needed enough of these items to have 8 points

To be considered as a VHI the vehicle must have been first registered over 40 years ago and the following
components need to be of a design of which would have been fitted to that vehicle at the time of its
manufacture.
• the original unmodified chassis or body shell (including any sub frames) or,
• a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell (including any subframes) of the same specification as the
original
• suspension (front and back)
• steering assembly
• all axles
• transmission
• engine

Here's the current point count -you need 8 of the available 14 points:

Part                                             Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)                                                                                       5
Suspension (front and back) - original    2
Axles (both) - original                           2
Transmission - original                          2
Steering assembly - original                   2
Engine - original                                   1

So now you will need all 14 points, basically you won't be able to change any of the major components as part of your build. If you're going to fit a Bowdenex or Ballamy front axle, it won't be a "Vehicle of Historic Interest" it's unclear whether that means you're going to have to IVA said special as a result.

I know that the FBHVC argued strongly against using the 8 point rule for historics -presumably they're pleased with the result.
So based on these changes if approved, if I was to build an Austin seven Ulster replica after May 2018 i'm assuming I wouldn't be able to lower it as per the bowed axles/suspension to create a hillclimb/track car?
Or increase the power to weight ratio beyond 15%...
(14-09-2017, 06:02 PM)Vintagent Wrote: So based on these changes if approved, if I was to build an Austin seven Ulster replica after May 2018 i'm assuming I wouldn't be able to lower it as per the bowed axles/suspension to create a hillclimb/track car?

I think you'd be OK on the front axle as it could be argued that it is original. 

However. Copied and pasted from this Government document released today......

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...idance.pdf

The criteria for substantial change. A vehicle will be considered to have been substantially changed (and hence not to have been historically preserved or maintained in its original state and to have undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components) if it meets one of the following criteria. Such vehicles will not be considered of historical interest and will be continue to be subject to vehicle testing.

Criterion 1 If a vehicle has a power to weight ratio of more than 15% in excess of its original design, unless such a modification took place before 1988. 

Criterion 2 If a vehicle: 
 has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix; or 
 is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle; or 
 is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance; or 
 is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell changing the general appearance of the vehicle. While reconstructed classic vehicles and kit conversions can have age-related registration numbers that are more than forty years old, they are not VHIs.

So, don't fit that high lift cam and big carburettor, if it's going to increase the power to weight ratio by more than 15% - that's 18 BHP  vS. the factory 12 BHP if you still have the standard bodywork the car left the factory with. In the case of a Ruby based special, where the resulting car will be  substantially lighter than the factory car, you'll need to de-tune your standard 12 or 17 BHP engine to bring it into the Historic class.
Of course this only means that a car losing its vehicle of historic interest will need to have an annual test. Perhaps the concern is that the loss of VHI may end up meaning other things too - like loss of exemptions to enter city centres, etc...
EDIT: Peter beat me to it, and put it much more simply.
The above is only relevant to the MOT exemption, you can still have your modified suspension and higher power to weight ratio, you will just have to have an MOT.
Who is going to measure the power output, anyway? I bet Austin's figure was at the flywheel, not at the road wheel, so who's to say what the original figure was? And wasn't the factory figure quoted at something like 2,400rpm, so hardly a maximum output ...
(14-09-2017, 08:51 PM)Timothy P Wrote: They were opposing only the re-application of the 8 point rule to determine if a vehicle should be considered a vehicle of historical interest and MOT exempt. The reason given was that many cars were modified outside of the 8 point rule in period, and as such should still be considered VHIs despite failing the 8 point rule.

I did read that in some FBHVC document too, but still couldn't understand their logic as the DFT were and are proposing that all mods made before 1988 will not be considered when deciding whether a car could be a "VHI" or not.

IMO, these proposals are going to have the biggest impact on more modern classics: e.g. if you'd fitted a 5 speed gearbox in your AH Sprite or T type MG to make it safe to drive on a motorway, it won't be a VHI under these proposals.
Are they able to post date these rules? We've had no MOTs for a few years now, are they going to change it for pre 1960 cars again?

I believe the date is set as that is when the current EU rules lapse, so it has to go through.