The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another overpriced Austin
Actually I’m quite happy that a Chummy is worth 23 grand.
Alan Fairless
It's only worth 23 grand to the person that buys it at that price, (if it sells). The sad thing is that in the classic car world there are lots of people with more money than they have brain cells.
There are a great number of people who decide they want or must have this or that who jump in with both feet without doing any homework on what there money will buy. Such a person will buy this Seven no doubt. A fool and his money is soon parted comes to mind. It happens with other things not only classic cars.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
This might come as a surprise to many, but if you bought an Austin Seven in 1984 for say 6000 pounds, and you just want to keep up with inflation, you would have to sell the car in 2019 for the staggering amount of 19,147.81 pounds. And that is without extra for all the work you have done to it.
Not taking in account that prices for parts and restoration have gone up considerably over the last 35 years too.

In case you want to check: http://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflatio...mount=6000

Take any copy of The Automobile out of the eighties and you can find a Ruby for sale in there for around 4000 - 5500 pounds. On the Car and Classic website an acceptable Ruby is now for sale for 5450 pounds. In my opinion the Austin Seven fraternity seems to do a lot of work to de valuate their cars year by year.
Around 1970 the typical price for a very nice RK saloon was the same as a brand new Mini; over the years I have always used that as a barometer for Austin Seven values. It has fluctuated a bit, with the Austin value sometimes rather more, and occasionally rather less, than the price of the cheaper small cars on the market. That puts an RK today at around £10,000 - £11,000 which is probably about right. 

Similarly, I have always considered an open car to be valued around 50% more than an equivalent saloon, so that would put a very nice late-1920s chummy at around £16,000, again probably not far out. There has always been the occasional special vehicle which bucks the trend, but the V & P car under discussion here hardly seems to be that remarkable, with several features which would put the purist off.
the hood is a different shape to mine
(10-02-2019, 11:13 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Around 1970 the typical price for a very nice RK saloon was the same as a brand new Mini; over the years I have always used that as a barometer for Austin Seven values. It has fluctuated a bit, with the Austin value sometimes rather more, and occasionally rather less, than the price of the cheaper small cars on the market. That puts an RK today at around £10,000 - £11,000 which is probably about right. 

Similarly, I have always considered an open car to be valued around 50% more than an equivalent saloon, so that would put a very nice late-1920s chummy at around £16,000, again probably not far out. There has always been the occasional special vehicle which bucks the trend, but the V & P car under discussion here hardly seems to be that remarkable, with several features which would put the purist off.

That may sound sensible, but in fact only means the cost of production of cars has gone down, thanks to (among others) robotics. In the same manner the price of a Ferrari 250 GT would now be anywhere close to that of the latest Aston Martin, which clearly it isn't.
Now I don't want to get in a discussion about that, I do believe some cars are not worth their (inflated - there is that word again) money nowadays. I just wanted say that in my opinion as to prices there seems to be a tendency to depreciate the value of Austin Sevens on this forum in negation of (among others) inflation.