The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1932 Saloon Restoration
(11-02-2019, 09:08 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Interestingly, Martin and I have spoken about this very recently as I have an early RN here with metal brackets in place of the wooden ones as well.

Do you have photos please?

I will take a picture when I get in the workshop again.
Having rebuilt 3 RN saloons (January, April and September 32) they all had the metal brackets.
(11-02-2019, 10:21 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Having rebuilt 3 RN saloons (January, April and September 32) they all had the metal brackets.

Hi Dave,

Can you please give detail then on how to attach the rain gutter to the two panels and wood section? 

I would like to get that going as I guess painting over the screws will probably be best?
(11-02-2019, 10:21 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Having rebuilt 3 RN saloons (January, April and September 32) they all had the metal brackets.

That is very interesting Dave, I felt sure that the brackets had been there for some time, not least because the original headcloth was still in situ when I got the car.

Perhaps the practise continued into early RP as well??
This is very interesting, as I've not come across metal brackets like this on any of the cars, RN or RP, that I've worked on. Having said that, Longbridge's standardisation of details like this seems to have been very hit-and-miss, so I'm quite prepared to believe that these brackets are original. Some more detail would be very useful, because if they are I may have to make optional allowances for them in our templates.
Big Grin 
Another blow to the definative details collector!
(11-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Hi Martin

First the doors now this. I now feel totally inadequate! Others tried but failed!

I trust the RP you are restoring is not the rusted remnant recently used to illustrate the sills enquiry? I thought my car had been rusty but never in that league! Fortunately although a deluxe it never had a sunroof. I feel guilty about the steel panel fitted 70 years ago after seeing rocks fall in the Manawatu Gorge (which Google) but it keeps the woodwork simple.

Thanks, Bob.

The "rusted remnant" was a good one by my standards.  It eventually looked healthier.

My own project really IS a complete wreck!
(11-02-2019, 10:53 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: This is very interesting, as I've not come across metal brackets like this on any of the cars, RN or RP, that I've worked on.  Having said that, Longbridge's standardisation of details like this seems to have been very hit-and-miss, so I'm quite prepared to believe that these brackets are original.  Some more detail would be very useful, because if they are I may have to make optional allowances for them in our templates.

I did take one out while removing the wood section. It was riveted through the roof and had a single nail holding it to the wood section above the door. I am in the workshop again on Wednesday then I will bring it with for some pictures and measurements.

Here's a photo of the latest RN bracket, in total there are three one above the B posts and one central over the rear window. On the RN the side rear window wood frame is like and upside down 'd' with the long leg inside the B post and there is a separate piece of wood over the door, the gutter screws screw into the wood over the door and the top rail of the rear side window frame, note this is an RN I don't know if the RP is the same

I knew I had some of those brackets somewhere. The rear most gutter fastening is a bolt and nut the rear side window frame top member is too thin for a wood screw, you can just see two holes in the wood one is for a screw to secure the vertical timber to it, the other is for the gutter bolt.