The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cox Atmos type 30 Carburetor
Hello All,

Slippery Anne used a 30 mm Cox Atmos side draft carburettor bolted straight onto the intake side of its roots supercharger. Across the course of my project I have searched for one to fit to the car, but to no avail, until last week, out of the blue one appeared on e bay, with a buy it now price of £120, needles to say I hit the button as soon as I spotted it.
I do not know if he was correct, but a Cox Atmos expert told me that they never actually produced the type 30 as anything other than pre production samples, as such, I had begun to wonder if I would ever see let alone be able to buy one.

I have read that the Austin competition department used the same carb on other Austen 7 race cars, which naturally leads me to ask the forum if anyone has any further knowledge or insight to the use of these interesting carbs?

Regards, Mark.

I've never seen one, but a search found an advertisement that claimed 5mph and 5mpg improvement on a Rover 12. Of course, no telling what condition the existing carb on the 12 was like. Cox claims only 3 adjustments, all being possible with the engine running. It seems compact. I would be curious about the float chamber and how well it seals with the spring clip.
I had one of these which is now with Steve Hodgson - if you do not have his contact number let me know as I feel sure he would be a good person to speak to about them.
(13-09-2017, 11:03 PM)Mark Atkinson Wrote: Hello All,

Slippery Anne used a 30 mm Cox Atmos side draft carburettor bolted straight onto the intake side of its roots supercharger. Across the course of my project I have searched for one to fit to the car, but to no avail, until last week, out of the blue one appeared on e bay, with a buy it now price of £120, needles to say I hit the button as soon as I spotted it.
I do not know if he was correct, but a Cox Atmos expert told me that they never actually produced the type 30 as anything other than pre production samples, as such, I had begun to wonder if I would ever see let alone be able to buy one.

I have read that the Austin competition department used the same carb on other Austen 7 race cars, which naturally leads me to ask the forum if anyone has any further knowledge or insight to the use of these interesting carbs?

Regards, Mark.

Hi Mark

The Cox Atmos Model B Type 30 carb was not a prototype and a production model fitted to 13HP Clynos. The Model B type 26 was fitted to the 11HP Clynos. The Type 30 refers to the 30mm inlet, The Type 26 to the 26mm inlet.
Hope this helps.
kind regards

Steve