The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Substance to aid hose removal
(06-02-2019, 09:51 PM)jansens Wrote: This might be opening a can of worms but I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that you can put on the radiator hoses to help with removing them at a later date?

Obviously there are lots of things you can use to help get the hoses on (grease, silicone, soap, spit, badger bile, etc). But is there anything that helps when removing them years later? If you search online you get all kinds of suggestions but no definitive answer. It leads me to think there isn't anything that actually works in the long run. 

The most sensible sounding suggestion I heard so far was a smear of Permatex gasket number 2, the sticky brown stuff that never fully sets. The other thought was a smear of brake cylinder assembly grease since it won't attack the rubber.

When looking into it I did decide to buy myself one of those hose removing pick like tools. Looks very handy. Like one of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4521/overview/

Simon
I put a smear of vaseline around the inside, they go on nicely and come ff again years later with no trouble.
Tip was given to me by John Dalby many years ago.