The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brookland style mufflers
Thanks Bill, I'll have a hunt about the AustinHarris site at their photos.

Simon
That's interesting, must admit I'm still wondering how the domed ones were made! Though they do look nice.

p.s. did your DVD's arrive Bill?
(06-02-2019, 10:00 AM)Chris KC Wrote: That's interesting, must admit I'm still wondering how the domed ones were made! Though they do look nice.

I've always believed they first bent a full tube, laid it flat on the bench and sliced it lengthwise on both sides.
 Throw away the bottom half. 
 Repeat the process for another example.
 You now have 2 sections which when married to 2 pieces of flat plate, will provide the body of the muffler.
 At least that's how I would do it.  cheers  Russell
I made mine to Chris Gould's drawing along with the authentic tapered tube exhaust manifold. The curved silencer ends were made up in 3 or so separate bits per end. I tried it on the car and found it very noisy and not pleasant to drive around even with the correct bore and length tailpipe with fishtail. I cut the back off thesilencer

Bl**dy phone! I cut the back off and made a tapered pipe with lots of holes drilled in it then stainless mesh and stuffed the can with mineral wool insualation. Much nicer sound.
(06-02-2019, 01:25 PM)squeak Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 10:00 AM)Chris KC Wrote: That's interesting, must admit I'm still wondering how the domed ones were made! Though they do look nice.

I've always believed they first bent a full tube, laid it flat on the bench and sliced it lengthwise on both sides.
 Throw away the bottom half. 
 Repeat the process for another example.
 You now have 2 sections which when married to 2 pieces of flat plate, will provide the body of the muffler.
 At least that's how I would do it.  cheers  Russell
Sounds rather labour-intensive Russell. I'd have thought they'd have made a stamped/ pressed part and welded together but if so I don't know where the joins were.
Diagrams from C Guold. Make a wooden former and cut and shut mild steel to get the correct profile. Make two halves and join together.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(06-02-2019, 06:04 PM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: Dis grams from C Guold. Make a wooden former and cut and shut mild steel to git
Chris KD - yes, arrived yesterday, Thank you.  Wrote you a Thank You letter but haven't posted it yet!  To Others - I made several Brooklands silencers over the years, copying what I thought was an original one.  It had flat ends.  I recall with chagrin one made for a friend and he decided to make it look "pretty" and polished the steel.  To assist this he ground down the welds on the joins.  A few months later the muffler disintegrated with a roar whilst he was driving his Ulster!  Turned out he'd been a little too exuberant with his grinding wheel and everything was paper thin.  Something to be careful about.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Hello Simon,

I am just making a Silencer for Slippery Anne based on the one used for the car between 1925 - 28, which was the earlier very 'rounded' pattern (see the attached period pictures). The overall dimensions are the same as quoted by Chris, who may be interested In the first picture, as it almost looks as if the cones are welded onto the centre section of the silencer.

I am forming it from 1mm steel, which I have to say is hard going after the malleability of aluminium! It is worth the effort though, as it looks so much more interesting than the flat ended ones.

Kind regards, Mark.

.jpeg   DSC_0810_2.jpeg (Size: 41.25 KB / Downloads: 141)

Impressed!
Looking good
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.