The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brookland style mufflers
I need to look at fabricating the exhaust for my car and my current plan (which could change) is a sports style pipe running along the nearside of the body. The body style I have gives me plenty of space to mount it there. Actually I have so much space it needs something there to break it up! I just need to make sure the wheel doesn't hit at full lock I think. 

I know of this page that describes the origin Brooklands style silencer and fishtail: http://www.austin7club.org/How%20To%2011.htm

My thinking so far is 1 inch tube from the block into a 1 1/4 inch collector and from there into the muffler and a similar size tail pipe. The actual tube I have is sold as 25.4mm OD and the bigger pipe would be 31.8mm OD both with 1.2mm wall thickness so that seems about right. I would slit and taper the collector part.

The pipe seems so small and I know that silencer was only for Brooklands but I guess that is right for a small engine. I can work out the dimensions from the link above but was wondering if someone who has one can post general dimensions. My car isn't a replica of anything so I can make whatever I like that is in period and functional, it's doesn't have to be an exact copy of an original.

The pic on the radius arm thread reminded me to ask!

Simon
Simon, for what it's worth the 'Ulster' silencer was approx. 13" long, 4 3/4" high and 2 1/2" thick.
The ends were domed with about 3 - 3.5" radius in side view.

The outlet pipe is 1" OD, connecting to a 1 1/8" OD tailpipe. Not sure about the inlet, mine is 1 1/2" ID.

Chris Gould's Ulster Replica book contains suggestions on how to go about making one.

I think Ian Bancroft sells a similar silencer, like most the ends are flat as it's much easier to make.
Thanks for that, gives me some idea of the size I am dealing with. Public holiday tomorrow so I should get some car working time.

Simon
    This is the Chris Gould pattern on a special that I built 30 years ago, I added the jointing flange at the rear. Still have the dimensions etc if you require them.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(03-02-2019, 10:00 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Simon, for what it's worth the 'Ulster' silencer was approx. 13" long, 4 3/4" high and 2 1/2" thick.
The ends were domed with about 3 - 3.5" radius in side view.

The outlet pipe is 1" OD, connecting to a 1 1/8" OD tailpipe. Not sure about the inlet, mine is 1 1/2" ID.

Chris Gould's Ulster Replica book contains suggestions on how to go about making one.

I think Ian Bancroft sells a similar silencer, like most the ends are flat as it's much easier to make.

Did the silencer have any silencing material in it or was it simply an expansion box?
It's just an expansion chamber.
So do they actually silence at all?
'Silence' might be over-stating it...
Vague muffling is good enough!
(05-02-2019, 11:34 PM)jansens Wrote: Vague muffling is good enough!
Back to the good advice and measurements on making your own - I've been led to believe that the Longbridge factory made (or had made) in the latter days of Ulster production - the ends flat, not compound-curved.  Can't prove that statement, but some photos seem to show the flat ends - worth checking as much easier/quicker to make.   Look for photos of the later versions, where the back rest is straighter than the earlier curved ones.  Good Luck, Cheers,  Bill