The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo no go
Despite rewound armature
New field coils
When spinning at estimated 1000rpm (drill spec)
Getting 1/4 volt
Spent loads of time on this so far
Any ideas much appreciated 
Tim
If it isn't working you must take it back to the person who did the work for you.
Thanks Ruairidh
Unfortunately it was ME
Doah!
Have you lost the residual magnetism in the field coils?

I think that is what happens.

There was quite a bit about it on the old forum.

Simon
Have you tried putting the terminal to a battery and see if the Dynamo spins like a motor. It should spin reasonably fast on a fully charged battery. If it does'nt look at how you have connected the fields to the brushes. I stripped my Dynamo down some years ago and put it back together wrongly and had symptoms like yours. A club member who was more knowledgeable on electriclkery than me sorted it out and apparently I had connected the inner wiring to the brushes wrongly.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Just read the information on the old forum.
If I understand correctly running the Dynamo as a motor possibly re-magnetises the field
I will try this tomorrow and report back
Thanks for the repleys
Regards
Tim
May sound silly.

But is it correctly polarised.

Tony.
Not sure what’s the best way to check ?
Tim
If the internal wiring is correct, then as others say, you need to run it like a motor. If you get the battery the wrong way round, you get a negative voltage, but no harm done, just put the battery the right way round and try again. If the dynamo is in situ on the car, you can "Flash" the dynamo into action by pressing the contacts in the voltage regulator together for a couple of seconds (Much frowned upon) - but it works.