The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identification question
Hedd, the long wheelbase was introduced in October 1931, but only for the de luxe saloon. The short chassis RM saloon continued well in to 1932, and the four seat tourer and boat-tail two seater continued on the short chassis until September 1932. As far as I am aware, there was no long chassis tourer (2-seater or 4-seater) produced with scuttle tank or three-speed gearbox. I doubt if the French authorities would be aware of such details, but one never knows...
To be honest, it isn't the French authorities that need convincing... it's the French equivalent of the British Motor Heritage Trust, as it is they who check up the originality and authenticity of the car to confirm if it is what it proports to be and that it has the correct documentation, then provide certification for the authorities. The French gov just take their findings at face value and issue or don't issue a logbook.

Still, that being the case it is a damn sight easier to get issues resolved in UK before miring yourself in French bureaucracy...

Appreciate all the input!
(01-02-2019, 11:01 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Hedd, the long wheelbase was introduced in October 1931, but only for the de luxe saloon. The short chassis RM saloon continued well in to 1932, and the four seat tourer and boat-tail two seater continued on the short chassis until September 1932. As far as I am aware, there was no long chassis tourer (2-seater or 4-seater) produced with scuttle tank or three-speed gearbox. I doubt if the French authorities would be aware of such details, but one never knows...

Mike. I think youve got some duff 'gen'. Ive seen at least two long wheelbase 4 seat tourers with scuttle tanks and 3 speed box. They also had vertical seams at each side on the back. I dont think it would be hard to find an example for you if you dont believe me. I had assumed these to be type AH?.  The short version the AG?

The later cars, 4 speed. rear tanks were AJ?. Yes this car seems to have one of these bodys. But a car fitted with a body built in the same year as the chassis, both built in the same factory by the same maker? A problem? Id be very surprised.
I understand why you'd think that, Hedd, and like I say, if I lived in the UK I wouldn't be concerned, but French bureaucracy being what it is, and maybe you aren't familiar with it, I'd rather have every" i" dotted and "t" crossed in advance
I am one of those that believe the "AJ" to be a myth.

There should be an AJ, since the later AHs were so different, which makes the myth perpetuate.

But I have what is one of the latest long wheelbase tourers with flat rad, rear tank, etc. and it is clearly marked "AH" on the tunnel.

Simon
(01-02-2019, 11:44 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Ive seen at least two long wheelbase 4 seat tourers with scuttle tanks and 3 speed box. They also had vertical seams at each side on the back. I dont think it would be hard to find an example for you

Yes please Hedd.
marsbar for the first AJ-prefix body stamp found!
(02-02-2019, 11:59 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 11:44 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Ive seen at least two long wheelbase 4 seat tourers with scuttle tanks and 3 speed box. They also had vertical seams at each side on the back. I dont think it would be hard to find an example for you

Yes please Hedd.

Save me finding photos. Theres pictures of one. Quite detailed on page 354-355-356 of Mr Purves book.
Thanks Hedd - a very rare model.
just had a look at Clive Barkers excellent albums on Flickr, found 2 such cars fairly easily. At least you can see no rear tank, and the seams. I assume they have a scuttle tank (and 3 speed box)!

[Image: 008_1722.jpg]

[Image: 008_1723.jpg]