The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identification question
Have you checked the numbers on the Registration Document? It sounds to me like you have a genuine late 1932 AH car masquerading under the identity of an early 1932 AG; presumably the (new) alloy tags have been made up to match the documentation rather than replicate the car's original identity.
Thanks again, guys, for the speedy practical responses.

First port of call is the actual chassis number, stamped on the cross member...you're right on that, Jon .That will give me the identity, as you say, and maybe also the stamp on the transmission tunnel if it's still there.

Mike, the numbers I have given are from the logbook, so you're right, they may be tags matching logbook rather than the stamps on the car. I don't think the car is a wrong'un or a bitsa to be honest, as I have some faith in the seller. What would the process then be if the numbers on the car are different from the tags and the paperwork? Would it be a case of a dating cert and reapply for a logbook through DVLA with supporting evidence? Time consuming but probably best for peace of mind and future sale (if ever!).

Ratty, thanks for the info on that. You're kind of confirming what I already know on that score, having gone through the FFVE process before, and you're right, there is a long delay at the minute. My concern with this car is that if they slavishly track down numbers, they may ask the same questions I am here... ie. why are the numbers so far apart, photos of car don't match the model period and registration date etc. etc. To be honest, on that score it has crossed my mind that will they really look that deeply, especially given the factory and owners records are so sketchy and random even for us as British, never mind for a foreign "investigator"... in any eventuality, it is definitely a case of get the UK paperwork sorted first then go down the French route... considerably easier that way.

Unfortunately, at the minute I am at a distance from the car, so am relying on the vendor to provide these numbers as I can't check them in person... so a slow burner.
Does the AH body on an early '32 RN chassis sound unlikely by the way?
Chassis number on my AH is behind the rear nearside engine mounting, not easy to get at.

….. I have just had a look, to check that statement.   I know it is in that area, but in practice it is covered by the flitch plate, which I don't want to remove unless you really really need me to.   And if I can't see it, and the inspector person doesn't know it is there …….There is only the plate on the scuttle to go by.

Get the vendor to lift the floor covering behind the handbrake to find the "AH" identification number.

Again, this may be difficult to read under the paint.

Simon

I meant to emphasise: chassis number is on top of n/s chassis rail, not on a cross member.

S
Thanks Simon... never made easy. Probably akin to stripping woodchip from a 70s living room
It's very close to where the chassis rail meets the bulkhead, close to where the fuel pipe and cover plate are fixed, although it should be visible without removal.
(01-02-2019, 11:51 AM)PedigreeChummy Wrote: Thanks Simon... never made easy. Probably akin to stripping woodchip from a 70s living room
It will be there somewhere I am sure!
It is certainly not an AG.... chassis too long, doors wrong shape, no vertical seams at the back....etc. I have had a couple of AG's (Chassis 150346, model AG1425, Body B5-3646 now sold:  and Chassis 149497, model AG1357, Body no plate unreadable) and they really do seem to be an interim model! Doubtless to use up left over chassis & bits & pieces.
Nice looking car!
David
This is where the chassis number should be on your car:

[Image: 20190201-141549-LI.jpg]

Not an easy place to see it, never mind read it!
im confused. Whats the issue? Its a long wheelbase body. on a long wheelbase chassis. They were making long wheelbase cars in 1932, in fact by 1932 had they not stopped making short wheelbase cars?

Its also very easy to fit a rear tank to an earlier car.
Thanks for the advice, chaps.

Hedd, the issue I have is that the car is shown on record as an AG Tourer, which it obviously isn't, the chassis number is one from Feb 1932, as is the date of first reg, the engine number is one from towards the end of 1932 and the car is a later AH Tourer with rear tank, generally regarded as a post-September 1932 model.

I need to have this registered in France on a "carte grise de collection", that's a special vintage/classic vehicle logbook which means you don't have to have the French MOT on a regular basis, and don't have to pass stringent modern day emissions tests, not to mention modern brake tests, steering play etc. The French are very fussy on the paperwork, and if I have noticed the year/chassis/model numbers discrepancy, then there's a good chance that the organisation who verify the authenticity of the paperwork and the vehicle probably will.

Wouldn't be an issue, really, if I lived in UK, but I don't, so it is... paperwork. I want to make sure everything is order on the UK side of the Channel otherwise it'll cause problems on the French side, possibly rendering the car an unusable, expensive ornament.