The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bernard Griffiths - RIP
Many of you will be familiar with Bernard, the A7CA's long term Events Calendar and Projects Coordinator, his name inside the front cover of the "grey mag" for many decades.

Conversations with Bernard were never dull, his pet donkeys, cars, hurdy-gurdys and smocks to name but a few pet topics!

He suffered a fatal heart attack last Friday.

No more will salutations from the Chief Eccentric, beautifully crafted in ink from his beloved "quill pen", land on my door mat!

One less character to make the world a more interesting and happy place.

I met Bernard on the 1978 Record Attempt. Afterwards I gave him several quick laps of Goodwood circuit in my special. He never forgot. We never met again, but corresponded many times, always preceded with “do you remember when”. RIP old mate.
Alan Fairless
Sad to here that news.

It's been several years since I've met up with Bernard.

A truely interesting person to know.

He had a great love and collection of austin marine engines. Amongst his interests.

Sad new indeed, Tony.
I am so sad to hear about the death of Bernard whom I first met some 50 years ago now.
I shall miss him a lot.One of the true Austin Seven eccentrics who referred to his beloved mother,always,as the hooligan.
To my knowledge,like her son, she definitely wasn’t.
Am I thinking of the same Bernard, was his father a Vicar in the Salisbury area?
(29-01-2019, 05:47 PM)Nigel Ricardo Wrote: Am I thinking of the same Bernard, was his father a Vicar in the Salisbury area?

Bernard's father was Vicar at Abbots Ann for 40 years. Just North of Salisbury.
Thanks , I thought it was but haven't spoken to Bernard for over 40 years.
I'm so sad to hear this news, Bernard was a true gentleman. He used to often call me at my old work and chatted about how he enjoyed our shortbread (Goodfellow & Steven, bakers and confectionery)… maybe it was a lovely prompt for me to send him another box. I didn't mind as it was always a pleasure to chat to him.

My fondest memory is at Steve & Gails Hodgsons wedding, chatting to the man with the most amazing side burns.. When it was time to go Ruairidh said he had organised a taxi. This to me was the most amazing taxi trip I have ever had in my hole life and I have and will treasure it always.

I'm sure you will hear more about this from Ruairidh soon.

Quote "One less character to make the world a more interesting and happy place." (Ruairidh Dunford)
The story that Andrew refers to took place following the fabulous wedding of Steve and Gail Hodgson.

Here is Bernard and me at the do - Bernard's sideburns were in full "mating ferrets" mode as you can see!

After much dancing and malts I arranged a taxi and here it is (to the far left is a very youthful Ben Marchant sans barbe!):

The taxi, of course, belonged to Bernard.  We left around two o'clock and headed towards Midhurst where Andrew I were staying.  We clambered into the back, with a delighted Rosemary, whilst our Chauffeur changed...

Off we went, into the dark lanes - Bernard up front, exposed to elements...

and we three in the back, warm and cosy!

Every so often, Rosemary would lean forward and tap on the divider hollering "speed up man and don't spare the horses"!!

We arrived in Midhurst around 3am and they then headed on to Abbots Ann - arriving safely around 6am - normal life for Bernard, unforgettable time travelling experience for us.  

Bernard's funeral will be held on Wednesday 13 February at St Mary the Virgin, Abbott's Ann at 12.30.