The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut out identification
Thanks to everyone involved in this thread, its great to know there's always someone around to help out when you need it. 

I'm going to get those diagrams printed off ready to start the big re-wire (they are much easier to follow than the later ones!). 
I have a few optional extras added to my car: Indicators, SU Fuel Pump and a wiper. 
They are currently wired into the IGN connector - is this the right way of going about it?

I've got myself a fuse board and battery isolator switch which will be hidden away in the glove box. 
It will make me a lot happier knowing that if something does short at least its only a fuse that blows and it wont cause any fires! The isolater will be great for storage and when leaving the car at shows etc, one extra deterrent...

Got a few bits of tidying up to do before I do start the re-wire. The dash has seen better days and behind the scuttle fuel tank is some very thin aluminium that's been hacked to pieces to get the original wiring through. I'll be replacing this with some new Aluminium sheet and proper grommets in the holes Big Grin 

Thanks again

Danny
The wiring diagram is gloriously simple and is representative of the attraction of Sevens as a hobby compared with moderns.

But the internal connections and operation of the switch requires close attention. If anyone has produced a circuit diagram which makes the electrical operation more immediately obvious it would be helpful if they shared please.
(14-09-2017, 10:28 AM)AustinWood Wrote: The diagram in the handbook incorrectly shows the horn switch before the horn. It should be after the horn and the horn button earths the circuit at the column.
I have a 1929 parts list, publication 670 and pasted in the back is a larger diagram.
This appears to be a Lucas drawing, No W125 and refers to Austin 7 1930/31.

Better, but they call the Switchboard SM3 instead of SM5

Cheers, Tony.
(14-09-2017, 10:28 AM)AustinWood Wrote: The diagram in the handbook incorrectly shows the horn switch before the horn. It should be after the horn and the horn button earths the circuit at the column.
I have a 1929 parts list, publication 670 and pasted in the back is a larger diagram.
This appears to be a Lucas drawing, No W125 and refers to Austin 7 1930/31.

This is a very clear wiring diagram Jim - thanks for sharing and also for highlighting the error in the previous one, I admit to stumbling over that in the past and scratching my head.
As per the later cars ignition controlled accessory circuits are appropriately fed from the ign switch thru a fuse. Cars with electric pumps also usually so arranged.
 I am not familiar with the early switches but hopefully the ign contacts are adequate for the increased task, whereas the post 1932 switches often are not when old.
Does the SM5 need to be earthed to the dash panel please? Ditto, I'm presuming the coil does not need any earthing to bulkhead...