The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin RK rear number plate bracket
(24-01-2019, 04:42 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: This is from a very early RN Saloon Jon and appears to use exactly the same amount of metal, just curved.

that what I meant.. i.e. the curved one might use more metal than the straight...?

but Timothy has disproven an 'efficiency saving' hypothesis with those early cars pics now anyway!

We can only use the O/S ones as evidence... the N/S ones are all going to be more modern.

What will be interesting to see is more O/S "flat one" images on obviously original number plates and check their fixing methods, to see if they really were of several different designs... or whether it was just that the curved ones broke easily and got replaced.
The ones I recall on my RKs were rivetted to the number plate with three rivets, similar to the Willie McKenzie repros but closer the end of the plate. They were Z-shaped so that the lamp stood proud of the number plate and provided the necessary illumination. I suspect the curved ones are probably a later development as the curve provides some springiness to the bracket and protects it better from breakage if the lamp is hit.
Sorry for the N/S photo, the one of the offside wasn't so clear, it is similar but riveted (the one I showed appears to be bolted only).
This pic from Austin Harris' Site seems to show the flat one quite well...
[Image: red7369crop.jpg?itok=WVbVbnWh]