The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side ventilators
Are the opening ventilators on the sides of the scuttle  painted or some other finish? 
I have seen them painted body colour, bare metal (brass) polished or dull.
Early 1930,s.
I'm inclined to think body colour, but what do I know! 
Advice please!
Yes, David, painted body colour was the factory-standard. If you look through the period photos in the Gallery section, I don't think you will find a single example with plated or bare metal finish; but that's not to say an owner couldn't, and didn't, customise his brand new car with such a finish!
except Fabric Saloons.... which weren't!
Almost universally painted in the body colour I have seen one or two nickel or chrome-plated examples, quite possibly ex-fabric saloons. Bare or polished brass (one of my pet hates), absolutely never!
my 32 RN had painted ones.
(21-01-2019, 08:10 AM)bob46320 Wrote: my 32 RN had painted ones.

Painted it will be
(20-01-2019, 11:21 PM)JonE Wrote: except Fabric Saloons.... which weren't!
Indeed, Jon! David was asking about early 1930s cars so I was only thinking of metal-panelled cars; here's a fabric saloon from the Gallery to make amends!

[Image: 158_03_10_18_8_37_28.jpeg]
(20-01-2019, 09:50 PM)David.H Wrote: Are the opening ventilators on the sides of the scuttle  painted or some other finish? 
I have seen them painted body colour, bare metal (brass) polished or dull.
Early 1930,s.
I'm inclined to think body colour, but what do I know! 
Advice please!

My December 1932 RP are Brass.
My 31 AF 4seat tourer still awaiting some restoration. Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Smiley and Terrytune, all scuttle ventilators are made of brass, but they were never supplied ex-Longbridge in unpainted form. Nor were they originally plated on a 1930-31 tourer. Unfortunately the design does mean that with use the paint is very easily chipped off both the frame and the trapdoor, removing all the paint was an economical way of tidying up an older car, plating the fittings are more expensive but equally effective means of overcoming the problem.