The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan end float
Fiddling with the fan on my LWB tourer I could not work out how to remove the end float. Is the answer leave it be, it won't do any harm or can I adjust it easily?
Does it make a noise, does it foul the radiator, does it chafe the fan belt ? If the answer to all of these is no and the castlenated nut has a split pin in it, leave it alone.
(20-01-2019, 09:02 PM)bob46320 Wrote: Does it make a noise,  does it foul the radiator, does it chafe the fan belt ?  If the answer to all of these is no and the castlenated nut has a split pin in it,  leave it alone.

Many thanks, that was my temptation. How would I adjust the end float when rebuilding one in the future, does anyone know or does everyone just leave them be?
Mark, when you remove the fan it reveals a fairly substantial nut (secured with a split pin) which prevents the assembly from going anywhere very much. Behind this you may find various washers or a flanged bush which can be adjusted to take out excessive float should you wish to. As it means taking the radiator out you may want to save the task for later.

A word of warning though, there's a difference between end float and loose fan screws. If the two long thin screws which secure the fan (at the very front) come loose they will engrave a neat circle in your radiator or worse. You can usually hear a distinctive tinkling sound if the fan is starting to come loose. And it chirrups loudly when it wants for grease.
If you are going to remove the fan, it may be less work to remove the generator and housing which mounts the fan. The only bug bare with this method is to replace the nut on the stud for the housing behind the fan pulley. You will also need to recheck the timing, although easy if you mark the position of the rotor against the distributor wall and return it to this position on reassembly.

John Barker, NZ
Yes, good point John. I think I'd sooner move the rad on my car though.