The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diff casing breather pipe?
]I can find no reference to this breather? pipe on the back of my 32 RN diff casing. I was concerned that it it might be an entry point for unwanted items in the diff. I have pushed a cable tie through to the C/W.
Can anybody enlighten me please?

[attachment=5117

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Its just a breather to stop oil being pushed past the felt seals on the half shafts when the diff gets hot. The only danger would be if you were submerged in water - but that is unlikely ?
(20-01-2019, 11:28 AM)bob46320 Wrote: Its just a breather to stop oil being pushed past the felt seals on the half shafts when the diff gets hot. The only danger would be if you were submerged in water - but that is unlikely ?

Thanks Bob. Didn't work for me! N.s. brakes coveted in oil!  Dont overfill diff with oil is a good move. I just hadn't seen this pipe anywhere in anything I have read. Cheers.
(20-01-2019, 11:38 AM)Biddlecombe Wrote:
(20-01-2019, 11:28 AM)bob46320 Wrote: Its just a breather to stop oil being pushed past the felt seals on the half shafts when the diff gets hot. The only danger would be if you were submerged in water - but that is unlikely ?

Thanks Bob. Didn't work for me! N.s. brakes coveted in oil!  Dont overfill diff with oil is a good move. I just hadn't seen this pipe anywhere in anything I have read. Cheers.

And should always face down so the muck doesn't drop in. Often in the luck of the draw depending on the threads !

Tony P.
You could fit one of these. Works on my Land Rover.
https://www.paddockspares.com/515845-axl...z5EALw_wcB
how much oil did you use for fill? I was advised to cut the recommended amount down considerably for old axles that might leak through old solidifed seals... but that one needs to check/replace often if taking this route.
(21-01-2019, 03:21 PM)JonE Wrote: how much oil did you use for fill? I was advised to cut the recommended amount down considerably for old axles that might leak through old solidifed seals... but that one needs to check/replace often if taking this route.

I'm struggling at the moment Jon. See other thread re hub seal!!