The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis dating mystery
Hi Tony,

Thats great intel on the 'upturned lip' clue
Looks like a 1929 / 1930 chassis!

The wings and running boards I have point to pre Sept 1929 except the running boards seem to be pre Aug 1928 (bolt holes run parallel with the inside edge of the board). I imagine that the design updates of running boards (and wings) may have lagged the motherland by some time which could account for this mismatch, or the body may not be from this chassis originally at all!

You said "as far as I am aware no Chassis exported to Australia for locally built bodies ever had a factory ID plate
Does this include having no chassis numbers stamped on the chassis rails too?

regards
Andrew
I'm pretty sure that Bill Sheehan and perhaps Ian Williams have both mentioned 1929 as being the most common range for there being no chassis number found. (Mine too... but that's in UK)
(14-01-2019, 12:41 PM)JonE Wrote: I'm pretty sure that Bill Sheehan and perhaps Ian Williams have both mentioned 1929 as being the most common range for there being no chassis number found. (Mine too... but that's in UK)

From anecdotal evidence Bill has noted that many export chassis to Australia were unstamped, culminating in a large number in 1929.  Some appear to have had a stenciled number on the rear crossmember - often unfortunately painted over during later restoration.

For many years UK researchers stated that it was highly unlikely that any chassis left the factory unstamped , often suggesting that the number could have been ground off !

Even they must be now having doubts.

As luck would have it the factory books held at the Gaydon Motor Museum in UK cover some of this period and if you have the engine number from the original vehicle registration in Victoria it is often possible to find the chassis number  - listed as a 'Chassis for export'

Cheers, Tony P.
(14-01-2019, 11:18 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(14-01-2019, 12:41 PM)JonE Wrote: I'm pretty sure that Bill Sheehan and perhaps Ian Williams have both mentioned 1929 as being the most common range for there being no chassis number found. (Mine too... but that's in UK)

From anecdotal evidence Bill has noted that many export chassis to Australia were unstamped, culminating in a large number in 1929.  Some appear to have had a stenciled number on the rear crossmember - often unfortunately painted over during later restoration.

For many years UK researchers stated that it was highly unlikely that any chassis left the factory unstamped , often suggesting that the number could have been ground off !

As luck would have it the factory books held at the Gaydon Motor Museum in UK cover some of this period and if you have the engine number from the original vehicle registration in Victoria it is often possible to find the chassis number  - listed as a 'Chassis for export'

Cheers, Tony P.
(14-01-2019, 11:57 PM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:

Cheers, Tony P.

Bill ?

Tony.
(14-01-2019, 11:57 PM)Cheers,  Bill in Oz Bill Sheehan Wrote:

Cheers, Tony P.
Andrew - In restoration for clients I probably came across about a dozen chassis which were obviously 1929 and unstamped - despite some "experts" in the UK insisting it was not possible.  I was even able to come across at least one where the stencilled number still remained to support this (apart from the rest of the cars being definitely 1929).  Rust and restoration (especially sandblasting) destroys the stencil forever, unfortunately.  I'd suggest your chasisis is 1929, confirming Tony P's naming of the lip going 6" forward of the front cross member , if yours does.  I doubt it would be 1930 as I've never come across one where the chassis number wasn't stamped on rail top between the LHS engine mounts.  In early 1930 the chassis also became different from yours,, including different cross member ends.  To answer your question re the floorpans, there would be very few chasses ever came here without a floorpan and scuttle made in Longbridge, the rest of the body tub & doors made here.  (The exception would be when a chassis only was ordered from Oz to go under a locally-made sports, such as Ace, Meteor etc).  Now for your body (well, the car's) - I'd suggest  the holes drilled in the side panels are non-kosher. True, from late 1928 these side panels were drilled, but only along the middle where the hole-tops coincided with the floor level, not up high in the footwell area as shown.  Also I'd suggest your floor is much earlier than the chassis, as it is rivetted along the tunnel, the spring cut-outs are separate rivetted pieces, the rear seat support brackets are earlier.  A 1929 floor would be pressed out in one piece, including the spring clearances and circular rings pressed into the flat floor. So, sadly it's really a lot of different bits you've bought, thus a lot of work to be done.  Did you buy it recently in Melbourne?  Note, none of this applies to "Export" Sevens shipped to New Zealand,  which were mainly sent out complete, similar to Longbridge.   If you wish to discuss further, email me on ausevenoz@gmail.com  or phone 0435 582 294 - you're welcome.
Hi Bill,
This is one of three ‘Austin seven projects’ my father has passed on to me. So acquired, but not bought recently. This chassis looks almost too clean, so I suspect a sand blast and respray some time ago then storage. I’ll have a look through the engine blocks I have and see if there is a mid to late 1929 number in there and report back.
Bit too hot to be in the shed today. 43 deg C outside, who knows what inside under the tin roof.
Andrew
Tony Betts had a SWB chassis for sale at the Guildtown Rally a few years back which was unstamped - no number anywhere on it whatsoever.
I can find no evidence of a chassis number on my 1931 RM (other than the bulkhead identity plates)!
Mike, is there any evidence that there definitely wasn't chassis stencillling on yours, or has paint meant impossible to say? (Just uncovered a '32 with some paint marks.. so it was still happening then)