The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A strange crankcase can you help
(18-01-2019, 12:17 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(15-01-2019, 04:52 PM)Chris KC Wrote: There was one like this on eBay not long ago i.e. 2 bearing but in a 3 brg casting. Not sure about driveline height though.
Tony B - I don't usually come up with wild guesses, but I do know that un-numbered crankcases were available form Longbridge as replacement for damaged ones (and maybe also for OEMs, for eg the early G.E. Brooklands had their own numbers, not the M - type).  The numbers stamped into the case 21532 denote the date 21.5.32, so maybe this was one updated elsewhere for a later car?  Sounds ridiculous, but perhaps I'm entitled to some insanity occasionally?  Cheers,  Bill

Bill,

Interesting bit of lateral thinking on the number !

Tony P.
(18-01-2019, 12:17 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(15-01-2019, 04:52 PM)Chris KC Wrote: There was one like this on eBay not long ago i.e. 2 bearing but in a 3 brg casting. Not sure about driveline height though.
Tony B - I don't usually come up with wild guesses, but I do know that un-numbered crankcases were available form Longbridge as replacement for damaged ones (and maybe also for OEMs, for eg the early G.E. Brooklands had their own numbers, not the M - type).  The numbers stamped into the case 21532 denote the date 21.5.32, so maybe this was one updated elsewhere for a later car?  Sounds ridiculous, but perhaps I'm entitled to some insanity occasionally?  Cheers,  Bill

Hi bill,

Interesting thought on the number being the date, 

but if it was a replacement crankcase for a 1932 car. Surely the rubber mounted crankcase didn't come into manufacture until some time 1933 for RP saloons etc?

it would be interesting to know if these were ever fitted to late military supply cars.

Tony.