The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Groaner's Corner
Chris,
Heat the screws with propane torch to degrade the Loctite.
Depending how much was used, you may see the stuff bubble out the threads so job done.
Regularly try removing the screws/bolts during heating.
Done it plenty of times, and no need to heat so high as to distort anything.
I doubt oven would do the trick, as that stuff does as designed.

Geoff - Domestic dusting duty ?
Reassembling the synchro as per Woodrow using the tin can method must have slipped moving it smartly from the tin to carrier. There are now 4 ball bearings somewhere in the garage!
Sorry to hear about the Merc Bruce. You could have a word with the electric Austin 7 man featured on here a while ago. Very sunny here in Sheffield today although only 6degC.
(08-01-2019, 12:50 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: While the stupidity is obvious and easy to denigrate, the idea is to engender awareness of our serious problems of pollution and waste. If we don't move quickly our grandchildren will be paying the price of our profligacy.
I'd happily go back to driving a 2CV but that would be retrograde. I bought a new diesel Kangoo having been encouraged to do so for green reasons, only to find that 10 years later I am now almost a pariah when it comes to micro-particulate emissions.
I don't have an answer that doesn't ban personal transport other than on the vehicle of the future, the bicycle.
If only they had left the metal in place when the Beeching cuts were made (by a Tory transport minister with strong road-building connections) we might have a better public transport infrastructure.
The local station is still there with the buildings and platform but no metal or sleepers left, the track having buildings on it.
The village has one bus per day and is 1.3 miles from the nearest bus service on the main road.
No car, no job? It's a  2.6 mile walk and a £7.00 return to the job centre. Now that's what I call planning...
We have a couple of buses a day going into the nearest town (Stratford) There are rarely more than a couple of people on them and they are heavily subsidised by the ratepayers (who also "give" free bus passes to retirees -of which I am one). Sorry , but too many rose tinted spectacles about the good old rail days pre Beeching. Our station is about half a mile away, but the trains don't really go where people need to go now - it dates back 120+ years & things have changed a bit!)
Back to the bike then!
Back to the comment about the diesel Merc....hang on long enough & it will qualify as an "Old-Timer" rather than a "New Timer" in Germany & you may be able to get an exemption docket. My ZA Magnette can do this according to a German friend in Osnabruck, but it may vary from Land to Land or even City to City.
Regarding the Merc...taking into account my experiences in a former life I am at a loss as to how the authorities in Stuttgart are going to police this. To be honest I don't think they can. Police patrols have far better things to do. Apparently taxis, buses, trucks, white van men and disabled are exempt so how are they proposing to screen them out? I am of a mind just to ignore it and see what happens. Even if they have ANPR the database won' t include foreign vehicles - the Merc is French registered so we'll see. It's either the Merc, or the MGF that can't use E10 fuel or the Mem'Sahib's little Peugeot.I'd go in the RP but it would take too long!
definitely hang onto the Merc if its a good one - there aren't many of that body that haven't completely rotted out. It was MB's first budgeting exercise after the days of the W124.
Despite the mileage (270,000km) the Merc is a nice clean car and the climate here is kinder. I don't get it wet unless I have to, and I don't use it when there's likely to be salt on the road unless I absolutely have to. I think the problems in the UK were down to the fact that this was the first foray into the use of water based paints by Daimler, and they got it wrong. There were a lot of cars that had to be repainted under the warranty, the rest just fell apart. It doesn't have leather because when I bought it it was to be parked outside and cloth is far easier on the backside in a hot climate. It does have auto and a few other extras. Elegance trim pack, burr walnut (which in the E Class is real wood). The engine has been chipped and develops 180bhp, but fuel economy is unaffected. Last long run I did it returned 4.5 litres/ 100km (62.77mpg) according to the on-board computer. (Photos available!). I intend to keep it.
Definitely keep it Bruce. I still regret the demise of my E320 estate of similar vintage. I tried, but a year ago it seemed a wise move to part. I still regret it. Perhaps the family would move?
Regards,
Stuart
(08-01-2019, 01:45 PM)Geoff Halstead Wrote: Chris,
Heat the screws with propane torch to degrade the Loctite.
Depending how much was used, you may see the stuff bubble out the threads so job done.
Regularly try removing the screws/bolts during heating.
Done it plenty of times, and no need to heat so high as to distort anything.
I doubt oven would do the trick, as that stuff does as designed.

Geoff - Domestic dusting duty ?

Thanks Geoff. I must say I don't like applying localized heat to castings. However emboldened by your advice I managed to get the wee sods out over the weekend without doing any obvious harm. Even so took me the better part of 2 hours! Could only get them just hot enough to nudge round a few degrees at a time, leaning full body weight on a brand new screwdriver as the slots were failing - then back to heating again. Thank goodness there's a bit of muck inside worth cleaning!
Repaired a puncture yesterday but must have nipped the innertube on the way back on... Too flippin cold outside today to have another go. Grrrr... Brrrr...