The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
turbo with port injection on methanol
A 32 stud head at Gaydon. Sorry no photo of the engine (I don't know if the car has an engine fitted) notes on the car only.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

32 stud motor.

[Image: 46411215902_cb48bc49e2_k.jpg]

"Just like the power unit in the models available in your local Austin showroom sir" as I'm sure the factory would have liked Joe Public to believe.
(25-12-2018, 07:45 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: A 32 stud head at Gaydon. Sorry no photo of the engine (I don't know if the car has an engine fitted) notes on the car only.
The Bantam has its new  Garrett gt1241 turbo for Christmas .  Other pics of adj. timing gear  , valve train , side cover oilers for valve train , added water circulation to port area ..  I have been checking oil circulation inside , seems that the frt. cam bushing leaks oil around the outer diameter even with 2   o-rings . . Feed hole has been restricted.. Now its getting new tighter o=rings and a new one at the delivery hole , I'll see what that does . Accessory oil pump from differential circulating pump , makes 50 psi. ..   Thanks to all who reminded me of case / block  seperation . For now i'm  upgrading studs that  hold them together , to 10 mm.  First  pic. lower left is elect. w. pump ..    Happy Holiday Greetings     STEVE     in warm  Tucson , Arizona    PH # 520 591 6318

Attached Files
.jpg   DSCN2505.JPG (Size: 122.25 KB / Downloads: 340)
.jpg   DSCN2506.JPG (Size: 42.07 KB / Downloads: 340)
.jpg   DSCN2507.JPG (Size: 121.52 KB / Downloads: 339)
.jpg   DSCN2508.JPG (Size: 122.4 KB / Downloads: 338)
.jpg   DSCN2509.JPG (Size: 120.6 KB / Downloads: 338)
.jpg   DSCN2510.JPG (Size: 120.71 KB / Downloads: 339)
.jpg   DSCN2511.JPG (Size: 121.66 KB / Downloads: 339)
.jpg   DSCN2512.JPG (Size: 122.8 KB / Downloads: 338)
<p><br></p>
(25-12-2018, 08:30 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: 32 stud motor.

[Image: 46411215902_cb48bc49e2_k.jpg]

"Just like the power unit in the models available in your local Austin showroom sir" as I'm sure the factory would have liked Joe Public to believe.

It looks very impressive.
(25-12-2018, 08:30 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: [Image: 46411215902_cb48bc49e2_k.jpg]

The clutch was Just like the showroom model as well ! Rolleyes This is from the Murray Jamieson /Kay Petre 1934 sprint version of the Jamieson record breaker- 84 BHP, blown at 24 lbs, 32 head studs - no details of block fixing but would be 10 studs at least. Twin plug head with two magnetos.

Tony. 

Lovely lots of BHP, but is that at the wheels or the flywheel? Lots lost through the system, usually. 
Cheers,
Peter
Gah! Setting up three clutch toggles is bad enough let alone 5! So does anyone know the 32 head stud tightening sequence off the top of their heads...
(26-12-2018, 12:54 AM)Spex Wrote: Lovely lots of BHP, but is that at the wheels or the flywheel? Lots lost through the system, usually. 
Cheers,
Peter

The 1932 Jamieson Streamliner engine running dry sumped on a methanol, ethenol and water mix with a two lobe Rootes blower giving 22-24 lbs boost developed 74.5 bhp at 8000 revs. Max revs 8500 for no more than 10 seconds !

This was developed into the sprint car driven by Kaye in 1934, which on alcohol sprint fuel reputedly developed 85 bhp at 8500 rpm with 24 lbs boost according to The Source Book on page 418. The block was apparently held to the crankcase with thirteen studs.

The picture above of the clutch came from a set of pictures of the Petre engine from a post-war UK Club meeting.
When we built the blown motor for the blue single seater we increased the size of the block hold down studs from 5/16ths to 3/8th... except we went 10mm & used HT cap screws which Dad machined down in the lathe. We drilled the block out the same size. I made a jig to tap the crank case squarely.

We made up a little threaded brass tool to screw into the new 10mm threaded holes in the crank case and this allowed me to insert an ordinary wood router bit from underneath and catch the same in the chuck of my big battery drill. Running this in reverse effectively shaved down the aluminium of the block to form a flat seating surface for the now machined down head of the cap screws - that & Locktite took care of the studs.

The weak points on the original block-to-crankcase-joint are the ends of the valve chest as there is nothing holding them down. We devised a neat hold down using aluminium square bar which was machined to take two 6mm allen head cap screws in from the side and then one 8mm Allen head cap screw from the top at the rear. The same block was used at the front but a longer high tensile cap screw was machined to become a cam bearing locator peg. This was given a screwdriver slot at the top and a lock nut with a washer and a wipe of sealer. A separate hole was drilled into the crankcase next to the rear cam bearing and threaded to take the 8mm cap screw.

The 6mm cap screws fixing the aluminium hold down to the side of the engine block were drilled and tapped into the block - BUT they were not drilled through into the valve chest, so no potential for leaks. To provide positive tension I mounted the hold down on a thick piece of gasket / Vellumoid before drilling, but fitted it using only a special anerobic gasket sealer so that the crank case hold down bolt is always pulling the corner ever so slightly onto the crank case. All the cap screws are held in with lock washers & Locktite.

Thus far it's all holding together - further testing will be done at the Simola Hillclimb in May

Aye
Greig

Sunny South Africa.... Port Elizabeth, a tropical climate.... what is this 'snow' stuff y'all keep mentioning  Wink

Attached Files
.jpg   Tapping the crank case to 10mm with a Jig.JPG (Size: 215.43 KB / Downloads: 163)
.jpg   Seat cutting fixture.JPG (Size: 109.27 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpg   Additional hold down block.JPG (Size: 110.69 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpg   Close up 2.JPG (Size: 54.05 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpg   Close up 4.JPG (Size: 83.42 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpg   Crank case modified for cap screw head seating.JPG (Size: 90.82 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpg   Modified cap screws 1.JPG (Size: 114.71 KB / Downloads: 162)
.jpg   Additional hold down block rear 2.JPG (Size: 106.67 KB / Downloads: 162)