The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebore on a mini-lathe!!!
Hi All

As always some really great advice. It will be a while before I take the plunge as I tend to do quite a bit of "research" (which my wife calls "dithering"!)

Thanks for all the replies.

Howard
Myfords are very versatile in that there are many accessories and attachments available for them. But they lack the the rigidity of an industrial lathe. Secondhand Myford lathes are often badly worn due to their narrow bed and the fact that unlike industrial lathes, the bedways on almost all Myfords manufactured in Nottingham, are not induction  hardened. Myford lathes tend to be much more expensive  to purchase secondhand than a larger capacity Boxford, Southbend, Smart & Brown, Colchester Bantam or Chipmaster. These machines don't have a signifcantly bigger footprint in a workshop than a cabinet mounted ML 7 or Super 7 Myford. It is nice to have a slotted cross slide on a lathe, but it's still possible to bore  or face parts on a lathe without such by using an adapter off the lathe's  topslide mount to fix the manifold, conrod etc. you want to machine onto the lathe.  I did this many times on my S & B Model "A" lathe before I had a milling machine in my workshop.

I've owned this 1963 Smart & Brown Model "A" for 40 years now.

[Image: 32328198718_4d3f09017f_c.jpg]

Had this 1943 "war finish" Colchester Triumph for 18 years

[Image: 44383140750_64a3459fd1_c.jpg]

And my "new" 1959 Dean Smith & Grace. Some of my friends have suggested that I am developing a lathe habit. I always say that I could give it up anytime Rolleyes

[Image: 32328198208_c701598c6b_c.jpg]
(06-12-2018, 09:28 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote: Myfords are very versatile in that there are many accessories and attachments available for them. But they lack the the rigidity of an industrial lathe. Secondhand Myford lathes are often badly worn due to their narrow bed and the fact that unlike industrial lathes, the bedways on almost all Myfords manufactured in Nottingham, are not induction  hardened. Myford lathes tend to be much more expensive  to purchase secondhand than a larger capacity Boxford, Southbend, Smart & Brown, Colchester Bantam or Chipmaster. These machines don't have a signifcantly bigger footprint in a workshop than a cabinet mounted ML 7 or Super 7 Myford. It is nice to have a slotted cross slide on a lathe, but it's still possible to bore  or face parts on a lathe without such by using an adapter off the lathe's  topslide mount to fix the manifold, conrod etc. you want to machine onto the lathe.  I did this many times on my S & B Model "A" lathe before I had a milling machine in my workshop.

I've owned this 1963 Smart & Brown Model "A" for 40 years now.

[Image: 32328198718_4d3f09017f_c.jpg]

Had this 1943 "war finish" Colchester Triumph for 18 years

[Image: 44383140750_64a3459fd1_c.jpg]

And my "new" 1959 Dean Smith & Grace. Some of my friends have suggested that I am developing a lathe habit. I always say that I could give it up anytime Rolleyes

[Image: 32328198208_c701598c6b_c.jpg]

Stuart, you have trounced most, if not all of us with that lovely trio.You are a true laveslave.
All the best, Gene

(05-12-2018, 08:49 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: For a good, all-round lathe the Boxford is hard to beat - but you must avoid the Model C and go instead for an A with gearbox and power cross feed or a B with just power cross feed. The power-feed apron gives a far slower rate of sliding feed than can be obtained by the changewheels alone. It also, importantly, as the drive is transmitted by worm-and-wheel gearing in the apron, saves wearing out the now hard-to-find leadscrew clasp nuts. Best of all is variable-speed drive Boxford VSL, especially the later model with a much larger spindle bore. For full details of the range see: http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford
A good alternative is the similar Viceroy - also made by the original makers of the Boxford, Denford Small Tools: http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy
The Boxford was a developed version of the American South Bend 9-inch - and lots of these came over in WW2 and are still around: http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend9-inch/
There are, of course, lots of others with most of the ones you are likely to find being found with hyperlinks on this page: http://www.lathes.co.uk/faq/page2.html
If you want an all-singing-and-dancing job, there's a Hannifin version of this for sale - but it's in the middle of Alaska: http://www.lathes.co.uk/gilman/page2.html
However, if you want to see the full range, here you are: http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html
Hi Tony, didn’t know you were a Seven owner. I find your lathe site most helpful and informative.
I have now had a response from John re my tumble reverse gear, hope to have one in a week or so.
Best Wishes Gene
Tony won the VSCC's premier trophy in a chummy. That's impressive

If we're into lathe suggestions I reckon that a workshop without a CVA is lacking - although Stuart's DSG is nice
This one has been with me for some years now and is a delight to use

.jpg   IMG_0011.JPG (Size: 92.04 KB / Downloads: 424)

Charles
Is it still on the pallet ,Charles ?
Does it have the ainjest? quick threading attachment?
They used to call the Dean Smith and Grace the Rolls-Royce of lathes.
I would agree with Reckless,in buying a lathe it depends what you want to do with it. Years ago I machined some oil buttons up on an ML7 with a vertical slide but wouldn't want to repeat the experience nowadays.
Myfords are ok for small work but are hard work turning much steel.Pathetic spindle bore hole too.
My recommendation for an all round lathe would be a Harrison L6, but buy the latest model you can find
No Dave, not still on a pallet. That was when I bought it.
I removed the Ainjest to put back the second control handle onto the apron. I used the Ainjest a few times but being a rank amateur in these things I always approached high speed threading with a large degree of trepidation.
I agree that L6/140 Harrison's can be a very good buy. They avoid the unwarranted premium that Colchesters attract
I make full use of my lathes although the set-up to re-bore a block would be so time consuming and the potential for error so great that I wouldn't even consider it - leave it to the professionals with the proper kit.

However I have both an 11" swing Harrison and a 6" swing Viceroy for which I paid less than a smaller Myford.

Regards from the creative county

Stuart

[attachment=4699 Wrote:Stuart Joseph pid='20272' dateline='1544116172']I make full use of my lathes although the set-up to re-bore a block would be so time consuming and the potential for error so great that I wouldn't even consider it - leave it to the professionals with the proper kit.

However I have both an 11" swing Harrison and a 6" swing Viceroy for which I paid less than a smaller Myford.

Regards from the creative county

Stuart

I agree Stuart, my Sheldon lathe came out of a skip 30 years ago and whilst nearly as old as our Sevens still gives good service, I'd be lost without it.

My favourite lathe,Not perfect but,62 years old.2 bed regrinds, oversize tail stock barrel .It can still turn to .0005" and parallel .Lathes are like lawnmowers you will never get one that does everything.
On the wall of my father's workshop is a hand operated boring bar that a man in the village made to re-bore his Austin during the war.

It is beautifully made but we reckon it would take a day a bore!