The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo casing oiling pipe?
It seems that my RN is fitted with an unusual oiling system to the dynamo casing. It is not listed in the parts list book and I havn't seem it in any other pics here or elsewhere. Can anyone confirm this purpose. Is the tap half way along the pipe for switching it on/off for occasional use or should it be left permanently open.      This where it emits from the top of the crankcase on the offside.      This is the tap on top of the dynamo housing.      This where it enters the housing on the nearside.
Presumably the guy that fitted it thought the timing gears needed more oil, or he'd had a bad experience
Rob Beck has made a similar mod from the end plug to feed the intermediary and vernier drive gears on Mag. engines.

Really lovely grommit on the dynamo wiring.
(30-11-2018, 07:34 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Rob Beck has made a similar mod from the end plug to feed the intermediary and vernier drive gears on Mag. engines.

Really lovely grommit on the dynamo wiring.

One of many Ruairidh. It's on the list!
Don't change it - it is wonderfully old!!!
I love the copper wire cable tie! Presumably fitted before plasic variety.
It's all great and should be left for posterity!
Can I ask though, is the tap designed to be a permenant feed or to be turned on from time to time?
No idea - sorry.
I saw this on a local 40 years ago. If can tolerate the pressure tap off, and not flood dynamo innards, would seem a good idea.
All the good books recommend generous lubrication of cross gears. It would quiten, and reduce the iron dust in engine.
many cars with 12v  etc are now extracting far more watts from the dynamo than originally and it all requires power to drive.
Nevertheless life of original gears is 100,000 plus. Vital that the original feed is functional.

Cars look so much more original with exposed horizontal plug connectors. My Seven used to slog into horizontal rain and salt spray in notorious Wellinton winds and never missed a beat.