The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster Rep arm rest hose
Hi All, 

There has been some discussion on the forum about this, using milking hose. Does anyone know...

1. What diameter was original?

2. As well, any idea about how to split the hose cleanly? Even a sharp razor knife isn't up to the job and results in a less than straight line. A Fein MultiMaster with a chisel end will cut it easily but not in a straight line.

Erich in Seattle
I can’t recall the size but can measure tomorrow but it was an oil hose. But we put the hose in a workmate and used a straight edge a knife which worked out ok.
Yes, oil hose. Mine had a yellow line printed along its length. Held in the jaws of a Workmate it cut easily with a Stanley knife using the line as a guide. Don't know the diameter but can measure. Probably 1''.

Steve
(29-11-2018, 04:27 AM)Erich Wrote: Hi All, 

There has been some discussion on the forum about this, using milking hose. Does anyone know...

1. What diameter was original?

2. As well, any idea about how to split the hose cleanly? Even a sharp razor knife isn't up to the job and results in a less than straight line. A Fein MultiMaster with a chisel end will cut it easily but not in a straight line.

Erich in Seattle
I used 3/4" heater hose from a car accessory shop, and used a Stanley knife without any sort of guide. It worked fine.
Robert Leigh
Erich, 
I'm afraid I don't know the original size. I take it this isn't in Chris Gould's book?
It's really hard to slit hose perfectly straight. I think you will find though it doesn't really show once it's in place.
This is worth watching:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q2OzraoxRE
Nice one!
Austin, I was pondering something like this. I have a similar tool to cut leather in various widths for making straps and laces. Very helpful.Now I have to find rubber hose that is soft enough to work with something like this.

Erich in Seattle
Erich, even if the hose is reinforced with an internal textile braid, a new blade shouldn't have a problem cutting it.
(30-11-2018, 05:32 PM)Austin Carr Wrote: Erich, even if the hose is reinforced with an internal textile braid, a new blade shouldn't have a problem cutting it.
Another alternative I've tried with success - washing machine hose, easily split, correct diameter.  Cheers,  Bill