The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A7 Road Test / Reviews 1922-2011
Tonys Contents OCR’d
The Austin Seven, Now only £118, The Light Car 13th November 1931
The Austin Seven, Advert, The Light Car 9th December 1932
The Wright Austin Sports, On the road, The Light Car 4th August 1933
The Austin Seven, Road Test, The Light Car 6th July 1934
The Austin Seven, Advert, The Light Car 6th December 1935
The Austin Seven, Advert, The Light Car 16th January 1936
The Austin Seven, Double - Camshaft, Motor Sport April 1936
The Austin Seven, Advert, The Light Car 29th May 1936
The Austin Seven, Tuning and Maintenance, The Light Car 27th June 1936
The Austin Seven, Advert, The Light Car 18th September 1936
The Austin Seven, Tuning and Maintenance, The Light Car 9th October 1936
The Austin Seven, Tuning and Maintenance, The Light Car 16th October 1936
The Austin Seven, Tuning and Maintenance, The Light Car 30th October 1936
The Austin Seven, Tuning and Maintenance, The Light Car 13th November 1936
The Austin Seven, Under the Microscope, The Light Car 4th June 1937
The Austin Seven, Under the Microscope, The Light Car 11th June 1937
The Austin Big Seven, Advert, The Light Car 16th July 1937
The Austin Big Seven, Fixed Head Saloon, The Light Car 16th July 1937
(26-11-2018, 10:28 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: No mention or link between Bruce McLaren the companies founder and his introduction to motor sport,The Austin Seven.
Last year as a birthday present I was given one of those track day experiences which included driving a £300k Lamborghini which was brilliant,it was an airfield circuit and was encouraged to drive pretty fast.Paddle shifts auto clutch etc,great.
But how much "fun" would it be to drive on the road,I don't know.
Driving a good Seven smoothly on most roads would give as much driver satisfaction I think,or am I mad ?

No, not mad.  I wholeheartedly agree, here in Australia speed limits are strictly enforced so I have sold the Lotus and the Golf GTI and drive a Panda instead and for fun the Austin.
Cheers

Mark
(27-11-2018, 11:42 AM)Mark McKibbin Wrote:
(26-11-2018, 10:28 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: No mention or link between Bruce McLaren the companies founder and his introduction to motor sport,The Austin Seven.
Last year as a birthday present I was given one of those track day experiences which included driving a £300k Lamborghini which was brilliant,it was an airfield circuit and was encouraged to drive pretty fast.Paddle shifts auto clutch etc,great.
But how much "fun" would it be to drive on the road,I don't know.
Driving a good Seven smoothly on most roads would give as much driver satisfaction I think,or am I mad ?

No, not mad.  I wholeheartedly agree, here in Australia speed limits are strictly enforced so I have sold the Lotus and the Golf GTI and drive a Panda instead and for fun the Austin.

Definitely Dave... although I'd hate to see Clarkson do a road test on a Seven (he probably wouldn't fit, so no fear there?) 

I took the Groom and best man (a big lad!) in the back of the ORT to a wedding recently. Having driven it virtually on my own for nearly 10 years it was like driving my 3 Series BMW on ice. More fun than I care to admit. Both lads commented on the rear wheel steer and frequent corrections to the steering to bring the back wheels under control on the crisp damp November roads. When we arrived at the church, the Groom admitted he had no fear for the rest of the day, he'd used it all up on the trip to the church. I'd call that win-win.

Let's not forget racing legend James Hunt used to own an A35 van for the same reason. Bags of fun on the road with little chance of losing your licence.
(27-11-2018, 02:58 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Definitely Dave... although I'd hate to see Clarkson do a road test on a Seven (he probably wouldn't fit, so no fear there?) 
Didn't Clarkson give the Austin Seven a big wrap some years back  claiming it was the first to have proper controls ?
(27-11-2018, 10:50 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(27-11-2018, 02:58 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Definitely Dave... although I'd hate to see Clarkson do a road test on a Seven (he probably wouldn't fit, so no fear there?) 
Didn't Clarkson give the Austin Seven a big wrap some years back  claiming it was the first to have proper controls ?
Tony - Yes, he did.  Also, I'd suggest a worthwhile addition to the above lists would be the 6th July 1955 issue of The Motor.  When I built a new '23 body for a client back in the mists of time, I used all the measurements I'd taken in England from Simon Mansfield's car but found the dimensions shown in Motor a great verification, especially as I also had to make an new hoodframe from scratch.  Good stuff.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Most of us will never get to see more than a small sample but interested nevertheless. I suppose complete prints would mess with some copyrights and devalue collector copies. But if anyone could attempt brief summaries, would be appreciated. As before, most reviews and tests had very little meat so not much to do.
I will try and sort these into a united chronological list, unless others have already started. Please declare if you have or intend to and then I wont start!

It might be worth copyrights being raised... for others' input. I know Douglas is very up on such as his material for the prewardealerships site as he is using much primary source material. There is a 25 year rule for newspapers and so on, but then a longer tie in applies for the author and picture supplier? Having some plan for general use might be useful like on 'ere. I must admit, I've digitised whole small articles to link to things for Nippy site, and just put a link back to the archive involved. Its not like its not charitable - no one is trying to make money out of it, just widen the readership of the material?
(28-11-2018, 09:48 AM)JonE Wrote: I will try and sort these into a united chronological list, unless others have already started. Please declare if you have or intend to and then I wont start!

It might be worth copyrights being raised... for others' input. I know Douglas is very up on such as his material for the prewardealerships site as he is using much primary source material. There is a 25 year rule for newspapers and so on, but then a longer tie in applies for the author and picture supplier? Having some plan for general use might be useful like on 'ere. I must admit, I've digitised whole small articles to link to things for Nippy site, and just put a link back to the archive involved. Its not like its not charitable - no one is trying to make money out of it, just widen the readership of the material?
Hi Jon.  I have merged all the article people have mentioned together into one list for all post up to this one and will replace the list at the start of the post, thanks for OCR them.  I have not included adverts as there are 1,000’s of them.
Has anyone got decent digitised jpgs of the 1928 Apr. 13 Autocar "first roadtest" please? Was looking online but couldn't find anything.. but remember seeing it somewhere!
JonE - Hi again.  Would be interested in seeing the Road test you mentioned of a 1932 Ruby!  Also, the 1931 "Austin Seven around Australia" do you have a photocopy you could onforward to me please?   Might save a 200 mile return trip to Melbourne.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz