The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess what this is
I’m with you Ruairidh, COD piece, or could be as it’s Austin a Box
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(21-11-2018, 12:01 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(20-11-2018, 11:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Looks like something worn in a Shakespearean play!!
And here was I too thinking it was a cod-piece from an old suit of armour.   Cheers, Bill in Oz

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=...mrc&uact=8

Apologies for thread drift but here is a cod piece from the tower of london collection we viewed last year. Henry MAY have appreciated the oil pourer when caught short, then again he may not.

back to subject I have taken pics of the in period PETROL pourer and can but can't seem to link the file to the forum, p'raps I'll email to Rory if I may?
I thought it might be inserted into the handbrake skirt for long distance non stop drives. (more conveniently used with additonal accessories.)
As for the codpiece, getting caught in the zip has now lost all terror.
Russell’s photos:

thanks to Ruairidh for posting these photos we can see the Vintage petrol pourer. It has a sharp end unseen, that pierces the can when the motorist pushes down on the handle, the 2 knobs are in fact brass cams to assist. The rusty remains of these cans litter the inland Australian deserts, the pourer not so.  cheers  Russell
I'm not sure whether this is Shakespeare territory or "ooh matron" but as I have a Ruby should I have a jewelled codpiece?
(21-11-2018, 12:01 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(20-11-2018, 11:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Looks like something worn in a Shakespearean play!!
And here was I too thinking it was a cod-piece from an old suit of armour.   Cheers, Bill in Oz

Cripes, Bill!  The black bit is a hardened steel spike - imagine where that would point in a codpiece!

(20-11-2018, 11:06 PM)squeak Wrote: I too think this is a later iteration. The example shown was in use in the sixties on small round sealed cans of oil, as refillable bottles were being phased out.
I have one from the  teens and twenties, it is a brass and steel stirrup that lodges under the corner of the 4 gallon square tin can. There is a handle which presses the spout into the top corner. These tin cans came as a pair in a wooden box for delivery into parts of the country where there was no pumped fuel supply.

I think you're right about the date.  Mine from the early 'seventies, is identical apart from being (poorly) chrome plated.
I wonder if any cans exploded as metal to metal contact as the spout pierced the can ? I doubt either or both were 'earthed'
This is bringing back memories of camping weekends away with the BA7C in the 1970s - they used to drink beer from a "Party 7" - I still have the special key ring used to pierce holes in the top.

A spout would have been one hellava popular accessory!
(21-11-2018, 06:07 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: This is bringing back memories of camping weekends away with the BA7C in the 1970s - they used to drink beer from a "Party 7" - I still have the special key ring used to pierce holes in the top.  

A spout would have been one hellava popular accessory!

Great way to wash down the cod pizza!