The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AH and PD tourer doors
My AH tourer doors are curved on the outside (like an RP) ad also on the inside whereas the RP doors are squared off so they fit flush against the vertical panel where the vertical part of the running board mat is fixed.  Because of the AH (and possibly PD) curved doors there is a gap as seen from the inside.  To avoid this unintentional air conditioning is there a metal strip curved on one side and straight on the other which also secures the rubber matting or carpet?  I can't see how else it would work.
I'm pretty sure that the answer is "No", Robin. Don't forget that (for the PD at least) you're looking at a £100 car - No frills was the order of the day!
(15-11-2018, 09:42 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: I'm pretty sure that the answer is "No", Robin.  Don't forget that (for the PD at least) you're looking at a £100 car - No frills was the order of the day!

I've just been to visit Mick Hobday who has a very original tourer in bits (though you know this......I recognised immediately your rear seat handiwork!) and this shows that the internal trim piece which stretches from before the A post to the rear is indeed convex in shape where it covers the frame and top of the vertical running board rubber.  So problem solved.  Now to get Mr Goodfellow to make me a pair.
Hi Robin. I'd be interested to see a photo, if you have one. If I'm picturing the right trim piece, the ones on our May '34 PD are dead straight and identical to those on the RP saloon.
(09-12-2018, 09:44 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: Hi Robin.  I'd be interested to see a photo, if you have one.  If I'm picturing the right trim piece, the ones on our May '34 PD are dead straight and identical to those on the RP saloon.

I'll email you what I have with rough measurements.
Martin, I have owned my 1933 4 seat tourer for over half a century and it has always had curved doors and curved "kick plates" to match. I've seen identical ones on other tourers.
Regards,
Stuart
PS the little horizontal cut near the front door pillar is not Sir Herbert's idea - nor, indeed, mine!
S.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   DSCF3856.JPG (Size: 158.89 KB / Downloads: 115)
From one in the Workshop just now.

(09-12-2018, 11:48 AM)stuartu Wrote: Martin, I have owned my 1933 4 seat tourer for over half a century and it has always had curved doors and curved "kick plates" to match. I've seen identical ones on other tourers.
Regards,
Stuart
PS the little horizontal cut near the front door pillar is not Sir Herbert's idea - nor, indeed, mine!
S.

Very useful Stuart.  Are the door handles an original fitting?
Thanks all.

That's very interesting. Dave's pointed out that when we made the new frames for Mick Hobday's AH, we were surprised to find that the inside face of the bottom timber was curved to match the outside, whereas the apparently original frames on the seemingly identical doors on our PD are straight inside. The straight trim plates on our PD are the ones that came with it in 1974 and appeared to have been there a long time even then. What's the story on other PDs, I wonder?
(09-12-2018, 12:51 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Thanks all.  

That's very interesting.  Dave's pointed out that when we made the new frames for Mick Hobday's AH, we were surprised to find that the inside face of the bottom timber was curved to match the outside, whereas the apparently original frames on the seemingly identical doors on our PD are straight inside. The straight trim plates on our PD are the ones that came with it in 1974 and appeared to have been there a long time even then.  What's the story on other PDs, I wonder?

Does this mean that the door cards are curved at the top (to fit the ali cappings) but straight at the bottom, and if so does that not give an odd (and strained) profile to the door trim?