The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WINTER WARMERS!
So, none of our cars left the factory with a heater and demisting consists of opening the windscreen... with winter fast approaching, those drivers that use their cars over the cold months, what do they do to keep warm?

The engine produces a lot of heat, a short run out this evening, putting the car in the garage, the front end of the car was nice and toasty, in the cabin there was a bit of warmth to the gearbox cover, but not much else but ambient temperature was about 12-degrees celsius, so heating to the cabin was not really needed, but the forecast is for lower day-time temperatures in a week's time.

i don't like being cold!

Last year, I have bought an electric fan heater (meant to be for demisting), it is a 12V 300w (I am on 12V) and I haven't yet gotten around to fitting it, it is quite crude in terms of its fabrication, made in China, and tbh, suits the level of the Austin, it is all metal construction and is simple and I am hopeful that this may provide a useful source of heat.

I should add, that all lights are LED and I have a solid state regulator serving a re-built dynamo converted to two-brush, I am confident that the heatings demands will be met!

Be interested to hear what other ways drivers have employed to keep warm!
A beard.
Many layers of clothing  Big Grin

Hi Gary

300 watts from a charging dynamo at say 13.5 volts would be 22 Amps, which I suspect will put rather a strain on an A7 dynamo.  Contrast this with a typical car heater of the water powered type which might be 5 kW or more.

I can't help feeling that it will be about as effective as pouring a kettle full of boiling water into an unheated swimming pool before taking a winter dip !

Maybe try some rechargeable battery electric powered boots and gloves designed for motorbike riders ?

Cheers, John
Before the 1997 Jogle I fitted a funnel-type arrangement to the back of the radiator (on my special) with a hose ducting air into the  footwell. It worked very well indeed and I only removed it years later when a mysterious overheating problem began. The overheating is unresolved so I've bought some thermals!

Love the photo Mike, especially the roof insulation layer!

Peter.
If you leave the windows open the screen doesnt mist up
Once I get around to building my Ruby-based car, I hope to plumb a small matrix into the toolbox and rig a fan to it to act as a heater. How effective it will be is another matter. The sort of device that comes to mind is the type of heater fitted to some early minis, which was essentially a metal box with a fan strapped to the back.

Jamie.
(14-11-2018, 08:17 AM)Jamie Wrote: Once I get around to building my Ruby-based car, I hope to plumb a small matrix into the toolbox and rig a fan to it to act as a heater. How effective it will be is another matter. The sort of device that comes to mind is the type of heater fitted to some early minis, which was essentially a metal box with a fan strapped to the back.

Jamie.

But even that was plumbed in to the engine coolant!
My fabric saloon is warm in winter. The gearbox is exposed inside the car and so warm air from the engine comes in all round it. There are no air vents in the bonnet so plenty comes through. Above about 45mph cold air starts to gain the upper hand so best to slow a little.
I have fitted a Renault 5 thermostat in the top hose which means the engine warms up quickly and actually achieves a sensible working temperature in the coldest weather.
However it gets very hot in summer so I cover the gearbox with carpet once the weather warms up. The opening windscreen is excellent then as well.
Jim
(14-11-2018, 08:10 AM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: If you leave the windows open the screen doesnt mist up

Or the top off! 

These days I find it really difficult to drive any car with the top up or with a lid! Modern cars are atrocious for visibility.

OK, I understand the appeal of a saloon but I have always believed a convertible is a car you drive top down all the time unless you really, really need to put the top up (for me the limit is rain on the inside of the windscreen). These days, even in cars with self erecting tops, the reverse seems true. They only put them down if it's the perfect day. 

Simon