The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Windscreen
Chris KC, if you post all dimensions will make it a lot easy to find a car it would fit, ie width height.
(14-11-2018, 01:55 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: Chris KC, if you post all dimensions will make it a lot easy to find a car it would fit, ie width height.

It's my thought that whether it goes up front or rear, it would be from some Austin model, as Herbert patented the components as you see them (pillars, tube & channels, wingnuts etc).  This doesn't mean to say that he didn't pinch someone else's ideas before they got around to patenting the design themselves!  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
(14-11-2018, 12:09 PM)peter burton Wrote: For my tuppence-worth maybe its one of those REAR seat wind deflectors from a medium sized tourer of the early 20's?
Old Motor manuals show them usually with angled side deflectors for the discerning rear seat traveller.
Peter.
Having had many of those, it isnt an 'auster' screen or a generic copy. They all fold up to be the size of a briefcase. 

The flat bottom and the rake should make it very distinctive.
Whilst I would agree that the top tube is very Austin-like, the other fittings and construction details are not Austin.
(14-11-2018, 01:55 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: Chris KC, if you post all dimensions will make it a lot easy to find a car it would fit, ie width height.

Bill,

It's 40" between the irons, give or take a whisker.
Top section is 7 1/2" deep; lower is 9 5/8" deep, with overlap 1.5" (i.e. overall screen height is 15 5/8")
The irons extend about 10 1/2" below the screen.

(15-11-2018, 09:46 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Whilst I would agree that the top tube is very Austin-like, the other fittings and construction details are not Austin.

Mike, I've not really been able to inspect in proper detail, but for me the difference in finish / materials between upper and lower screen surrounds and the plain steel uprights suggests a special rather than a production car. A nicely made job though, so I'm thinking perhaps one of the post-war specials produced in modest numbers. I'm struggling though to think of one which had a straight scuttle or a raked rectangular screen.
My bet is something from the early to mid 1920s; note there is no provision of a windscreen wiper. I have seen those grips on the top screen uprights on something from that period, but cannot recall what ...