The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust valves
Thanks for all the replies.
Any idea what quality the A7 workshop valves are?
Also just trying to find an easy way to insert the collets.
My hands are not as steady as they used to be
Might need a thinner headed compressor?
Weather forecast is good for Whiston so have a nice weekend
Regards
Tim
If car has standard non sport valve springs a very elementary compressor will do. My car uses a piece of conduit bent ito a c shape , drilled and threaded about 1/4 inch  and the other end flattend and filed to fit around stem.
Welcome to the old chaps corner, Tim. I've had to abandon collets as the little buggers decided unanimsously to shrink, every single one of them too small. Whilst pins may theoretically be less strong it's the only way my aged fingers can manage. Can't recall off hand which cherished supplier, but easy to find.
Steve, When you mention pins are you referring to the type of valve stem that has a hole through it enabling a pin or peg to go through and is held in place with a stepped washer. I have these type on my Ruby and have only had one break in 14 years. It is a simple job to make new pegs with the correct size of piano wire obtained from model shops. I have also heard of emergency pegs being made from the shank of a suitable sized drill bit.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I have bought pins here: https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...-valve-pin
I see with intrest that the valve pins at Seven Workshop are for 1936 to 1939 models. I always thought they were an earlier type of valve than the collet type as all the 1970s BMC engines I worked on had collet type valves. You learn something everyday.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John,

Morris vehicles - for example Morris Eights from late 1934 onwards had split collet type valve stems.