The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Pedal Measurement
1932  RN Saloon 3 speed gearbox - standard.  Question,   
What is the distance between the floor boards and the clutch pedal   - approximately ?  I have run out of pedal movement,  and can only disengage clutch by removing the carpets !!  On stripping down,  I can see wear on the clutch release collar caused by the clutch levers.  I can sort that, perhaps even fit rollers as suggested by Tony ?  (Sorry Tony,  forgot your surname).  But it would be nice to know where the pedal should be, and if it can be measured whilst the engine /gearbox are on the bench.  Currently I have 0.09" between the rear engine mounting lug and the pedal itself.  

Note,  the 3 speed box clutch pedal is cottered to the clutch pedal shaft and its position can't be adjusted.

Also interesting to note that the clutch release collar has been built up in the past and also a mild steel "washer" placed on top of of that to provide the necessary pedal clearance,  but after about 10,000 miles, the clutch levers have worn through the steel "washer".

BobH
I fit a ring inside the cage, which returns the slots to correct height (and in turn your pedal height as well), once worn you simply rotate the ring and start again.

I have successfully fitted these to cars without removing the engine or gearbox.

PM me if you would like more details.
    One of the problems is that for about 3 decades the new 3 speed toggle levers are the same profile as the 4 speed when originally they weren't, see photo of new old stock 3 speed versus 4 speed.
Hi Dave, the one at the front is the 4 speed lever profile ?

ps Ruairidth, sent you a PM
The nearest is the 4 speed whilst the rear one is an unused original 3 speed.
Thanks Dave, I tried putting 3/16" rollers under my levers, but that was too much and I couldn't mate the gearbox by about 1/4" between the crankcase / gearbox faces, so roller solution is 'out' I am machining a new 'washer' to fit inside the release collar, trying 3/16" thick first.

Still looking for the distance between the face of clutch pedal and floor boards.
Bob,

I have only just seen your message and responded.

R
thanks Ruairidh, PM sent
Bob
(31-12-2018, 06:59 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Bob,

I have only just seen your message and responded.

R

R, 

I'd like to know this distance also as mine is only a gnats whatsit off the floor and engaged!
Peter
There is no specific distance so far as I am aware.

If you run out of travel, I have found the ring mentioned above can really improve things without too much trouble.