The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clutch assembly

Having struggled for years getting all of the springs and bits in alignment I came up with what I believe to be an ingenious idea, ( now tell me it’s not original).
Using the alignment tool as described in Woodrows and a Jubilee clip. See pictures
Clamp the assembly and compress, drop the Jubilee clip over the splines and tighten. I then use three long set screws and nuts to hold the whole thing together whilst finaly centralising the spline and tightening the six fixing bolts.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I didn't have difficulty by aligning the clutch using 2 of the crank case studs.. Ie a flat bar (like yours) and locate that on the 2 studs. If you are taking the engine from and existing setup, check your bar against the clutch output shaft before you take it to pieces.
Bob, you miss my point. It’s getting the springs etc in the correct places in the verticle
. Once the springs are slightly compressed and held in place, then use the bar to align.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Never used a clutch centring tool. Always seems to fit without it. Good plan though Derek.
Cheers,
Dave.
Derek's photos show the tool fitted to his Rosengart engine - this would appear to be a good idea for Austin three speed clutches, thanks for sharing!
(06-11-2018, 07:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Derek's photos show the tool fitted to his Rosengart engine - this would appear to be a good idea for Austin three speed clutches, thanks for sharing!

Interesting to see no mousetrap springs  — how does that work?

Charles
    Charles
No such thing on a Rosengart, the toggles are pre-engaged see picture
(06-11-2018, 07:47 PM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 07:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Derek's photos show the tool fitted to his Rosengart engine - this would appear to be a good idea for Austin three speed clutches, thanks for sharing!

Interesting to see no mousetrap springs  — how does that work?

Charles

Hi Charles

Early cars (3 speed gearboxes? someone will say how early?) don't have mousetraps to hold the clutch together but rely on the toggles being wired together.  I compress the clutch plates as Derek shows, then tie up the toggles with wire to transfer the clutch assembly to the flywheel.  Then use the alignment tool for final centring.

Howard
(06-11-2018, 07:08 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Never used a clutch centring tool. Always seems to fit without it. Good plan though Derek.
Cheers,
Dave.

Me neither (I always use small g-clamps to compress), though doubtless this has its merits.
It's fitting the mousetraps I've never quite mastered i.e. assembly without straining them, though no ill effects seem to have resulted thus far.
Chris my method of fitting them is illustrated within this thread: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...7&cmd=show